1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey Facebook people... We've created a group for XS650.com members to connect. Check it out!
    Dismiss Notice

i cant decide what way to build my bike.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bergoff, Jul 26, 2012.

1. bergoff

bergoff XS650 Addict

I've come to the conclusion that I just can't ride a cafe being so damn tall for a long ride. But i love the way the look. I don't want to cut my frame just yet. I'm leaning towards a brat style maybe I just can't make up my mind. I also like the tracker looks. I'm going to make my own seat pan out of fiberglass. What made some of you guys pick which route to go? I like to do 200 mile days and my last trip I was laying in the parking lot of a bar stretching out my back so I could get home. :)

2. osteoderm

osteoderm out of the box

I bought my XS with hardtail bobber dreams, but decided on suspension after a season on the local roads. :doh: Always really dug the Japanese builders and started heading towards a bratstyle vibe, but as cool as that low seat looked, it just didn't seem to fit me! As the build progressed, the seat kept getting higher, until I ended up more cafe than anything else... nowhere near the style of bike I had at first envisioned, but it's fun and fits me and the way I like to ride. :bike:

Point is, don't let yourself get stuck in any of the ruts of bobber, tracker, cafe, brat, chopper, etc. If one of those pre-determined styles is what you like, then by all means go for it! On the other hand, you might be better off picking your ideal riding position for making miles, and building the bike around that. Who knows? maybe you'll end up with something unexpected and awesome that nobody else has tried before.

3. uebe

uebe XS Goober

For me the riding position started my build direction. An upright sitting position is important to me, as is having a lower seat location. (short legs). I also much prefer rear suspension. Your back issues may lead you down similar paths. I started out picking a style, but it's been evolving and taking detours. Research and a little time & patience have helped to firm up my direction. Of course resource$, bike issues and ability play into it as well.

What's important to you?

4. bergoff

bergoff XS650 Addict

I'm going to buy a set of super bike bars. I had a set on my gs850 and liked them. They might work out on this bike. To bad my welding skills suck and my friend that's an awesome welder moved to Denver or I would stretch the frame 5 inches to fit me better.

5. Tron

Tron Bearded Sheep Whisperer

My build has followed the path of fun.

I started wanting to make it look cool, rebel shocks, taller lane splitter bars, etc..

It slowly transformed into what it is now..The more aggressive riding I do helps keep me focused in a certain direction..and my new love for dirt

What im trying to say is, dont worry about the "style". Just try different things until you find something fun as hell, and comfy enough for long rides..Then work on the aesthetics.

6. hotrdd

hotrdd XS650 Junkie

This is a good thread. I was wondering myself what to do even though I am currently riding my bike the style had more to do with what I had sitting around than anything else. I ride 150 KMs round trip some days to work with a back pack and my back is killing me by the time I get home.

7. Mharrington

Mharrington XS650 Addict

Here is my current work in progress. It has a tracker seat but really I call it a slightly modified 1980 XS650.
    [​IMG]

8. Mharrington

Mharrington XS650 Addict

My feet look awesome in the lower portion of the pic too!!

9. jetmechmarty

jetmechmarty What should I put here? XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

[​IMG]

I like this bike. The frame is unmolested. It has rearsets and a Corbin seat. I have ridden it and found it comfortable. I'm 6'4". I find the older I get, the less likely I am to tour on a XS650. I have a XS1100 with far more room for a long ride. I still love my XS650.

[​IMG]