I can't decide which to buy

Hey guys I just bought my wife a 5 shot 38 for her purse. I have a home defense shot gun and a P94 ruger. I like the p94 I'm not a bad shot with it, it doesn't kick that bad but the problem is i'm like 5' 7" 5' 8" so tryin to conceal it is like trying to conceal a rocket launcher. Anybody got any suggestions on a 9 mm conceal for a lefty thats not crazy expensive

Hey guys I just bought my wife a 5 shot 38 for her purse. I have a home defense shot gun and a P94 ruger. I like the p94 I'm not a bad shot with it, it doesn't kick that bad but the problem is i'm like 5' 7" 5' 8" so tryin to conceal it is like trying to conceal a rocket launcher. Anybody got any suggestions on a 9 mm conceal for a lefty thats not crazy expensive

I am your same size. I have been carrying a Springfield XD-9 Sub compact with Peirce grip extentions for the last couple years. Perfect for what you are looking for. Also ambidextrous mag release. It comes with a 10+1 mag but I have one that is available that is a 17+1 mag. I conceal it fine and it is plenty of firepower if you understand shot placement, like it sounds you do.:thumbsup:

Ruger sr9c might be what your looking for. I handled one and liked it but I can't cc yet.

Well, if we're going to get into specific brands (I deleted my original rant) it's hard to beat a Colt for a .45, and in 9mm I like my Sig, but I wouldn't part with my Browning Hi Power either.

I don't own any tupperware pistols, just not interested. I know there are any number of fine examples out there, but I'm even more of a traditionalist about guns than I am about bikes. Guns are blue steel with walnut grips (except for a couple that are stainless steel with rubber grips...:))

I've always heard good things about the hi power pistols. I haven't found one locally. I have to play with them and shot them before I buy them. I talked to my friend and he told me about his private dealer that he uses and he has a huge collection of all steel handguns.

I'm very happy with the .38 Taurus revolver I've carried for the last 20+ years but I'd go for the pipes.

But then I'm also happy with my .357 S&W and .44 Ruger but neither of those will fit in my pocket.

Like Downeaster, I'm old school when it comes to guns and bikes.

I'm 5'-8" and the 5 shot revolver is my choice for CC. Fits in my pants pocket or jacket pocket and no one notices. Even the cops don't see it until I show my CCW and ask if they'd like to look. Here in NC, CCW holders are supposed to inform every cop we meet and ask if they want to see our weapon(s). Most could care less once you've presented them with the CCW permit.

... ask if they want to see our weapon(s). Most could care less once you've presented them with the CCW permit.

I'd say "no, no, no, that's fine; leave it alone" because in case they'd be pulling out a chambered, safety off, hair trigger piece and accidently shoot my toupee off.

I wouldn't defend anybody's home without a shotgun. At least. I'd prefer a flame thrower.
The Judge shoots either a 410 or the 45 colt.
2 loads number 4 shot followed by 3 45's.
But the loads littlebill linked to would be great.

I too really like the Hi-Powers and the FEG knockoff is a good working example.
If you are up to it the little gun will make nice groups.

For those that favor the 38. A hollow base wad cutter upside down loaded to 8-900 fps will mushroom to a 60+ caliber at the slightest hint of resistance(I used wet phone books about 2" thick). Slight to no recoil. Acceptable accuracy.

There are any number of compact 9mm pistols out there. "Expensive" is a relative term. The aforementioned Rugers are darn fine weapons for the price.

Bear in mind that most (if not all) compact pistols are functioning at the edge of the envelope and ANY limp-wristing or flaws of technique will result in a jam. If you're a new shooter, a compact or sub-compact may not be your best choice.

Also, consider a compact revolver. Any J-frame Smith or Ruger's LCR are good choices. As noted above, you don't need to stoke them with full-woot .357 for them to be effective. NOBODY shoots a J-frame or ultralight revolver with .357's for fun, it HURTS!

.38 will get the job done and are much more pleasant (and cheaper) to shoot.

I love my HK P2000 9mm, but I have a Rossi .357, model R46102, 2in bbl for my CC. That sucker is a hand cannon. If the round doesn't hurt you, the sound will. It is not fun to shoot. BUT it does have a strong frame and a big grip. That small area to place your pinky finger on makes a huge difference on any gun.
I like to carry a revolver for CC. Just pull the trigger.
My Berreta M9 that I carried in Iraq jammed on me at the wrong time. Never had any problem with it before. Shit ass ammo was the cause, but I really didn't have time to walk over to a table and clear the weapon. After that it sunk in that that first round may be the only one you are able to fire off. Those other 15, or whatever, don't mean shit.

I've always been a wheel man. The upside down wad cutter is what is loaded in my .38 for carry though I do sometimes practice with cheaper rounds.

And if you can't hit 'em with 5 shots you're not yet ready to leave the range with a loaded gun. Go back to school.

I'd say "no, no, no, that's fine; leave it alone" because in case they'd be pulling out a chambered, safety off, hair trigger piece and accidently shoot my toupee off.

It's usually only the rookies who want to see it. Then they stand there doe eyed. Most just say, "I hope you'll back me up if you happen to find me pinned down in a fire fight."

My answer is always, "Yes."

I have been leaning towards the sr9c and I think they came out last year with an even thinner smaller 9. Thinking about getting one this month. I just cant decide if I want to sell my p94. I like shooting it but other than that it seems useless I do hang it on the side of my bed just in case but my shotgun is on the other side of the bed. My dogs are going to let me know whats happening before I need to grab it and I would just roll the other way and grab my boomstick. The 9 would hang in the same spot. I guess I could stash it in the living room....
In Texas as long as your traveling at least three counties over or you state your heading to or from a firing range you can carry without cc. I know where every firing range is in every direction from my house. You could say I'm always heading out of town or to the range.

CC in Delaware is pretty easy. Take a one day course, which I think is a great idea, (You should see some of the people in there. One guy brought 9mm ammo for his 40cal. But he subscribed to every handgun magazine out there and knew everything. Except that a 40 cal doesn't shoot 9mm), submit the paper work, and have 5 character witness'.
I would say 1 in 5 residents has a gun on them.

I have been lurking in the background following this thread, and I had a question for those of you who know more about handguns than myself. My wife and I keep guns in the house for protection and every now and then we get them out and use up the old ammunition, then I clean them and put fresh rounds in each gun. My wife's gun is a S&W stainless Highway Patrol 38 special with heavy barrel. She has asked me to find another revolver with a smaller bore and one that is lighter to handle. I have been thinking about a .22 Mag which would be easy for her to use. She is more comfortable with a revolver.

I'm not new to guns, I have been hunting all my life, I'm just not familiar with handguns that are available today. Any thoughts ?

A SW model 36 airweight with a 3" barrel.
Still a 38 though.

North American Arms 22 mag. Very concealable.
The birdshead grip will "walk" in your hand though.
Larger grips are available.

Tarus and Charter Arms both make larger frame 22 mags with 2" barrels.
I don't think any of the big 3 make a 22 mag revolver.

IMHO, a .22 Mag is a little marginal, tho ANY gun is better than none.

A lighter .38 as weekendrider mentioned would certainly be an option as long as it is loaded with .38 Special! Those things are just brutal with .357, and quite a handful with .38 +P.

Another option might be a .32 This caliber is enjoying quite a comeback and is offered by most of the major revolver brands. It will be marginally lighter in a "regular" frame and is also offered in airweight frames. If I were in the market for a new wheelgun, I'd look at this quite closely.

Another option might be a .32 This caliber is enjoying quite a comeback and is offered by most of the major revolver brands. It will be marginally lighter in a "regular" frame and is also offered in airweight frames. If I were in the market for a new wheelgun, I'd look at this quite closely.

.32's are very nice and light. Charter Arms makes a pretty nice one...and it comes in pink too. Seriously.

I bought my wife a ruger lcr 5 shot 38 it's very light and as long as she is using proper handling technique she should be fine. My wife didnt like hers until I showed her proper handling.

Back