I guess I'm not much of a navigator...

I never get lost. I just happen to go exploring unexpectedly...so I can relate..

If I have lots of free time, I sometimes try to get lost for the fun of exploring and the challenge of finding my way back using the position of the sun and a general sense of direction. As a backup, I carry classic paper maps in the luggage. Better yet: stop and ask directions from a local, and have a nice conversation. No smart phone, and I doubt I'll even get one.

Better yet: stop and ask directions from a local, and have a nice conversation. No smart phone, and I doubt I'll even get one.

Words to live by Dude! I find it increasingly alarming how people don't talk to each other any more. In a room full of programmers they'll slack converse (think skype) across the room rather than get up, go over, and talk to each other. Insane. Next time you're walking down the street in any city, stop and talk with a homeless person. Ask their name, then use it. Better than winning the lotto, you'll feel great all day.

" Next time you're walking down the street in any city, stop and talk with a homeless person. Ask their name, then use it. Better than winning the lotto, you'll feel great all day. "
I whole-heartedly agree with you, Queenslegs. Well spoken.
When I take my weekly 10-hour rides to the Catskill Mountain area, the highlights of the trip are often the interactions I have with locals; at their garage sales, the gas station, or on the street. People are often starving for a good conversation, and within a minute, you are sometimes hearing about their War service or an event from their childhood.

In fact, on yesterday's ride, I stopped at an interesting gas station just to check it out and break in a new camera. Rather than hijack this thread of Downeaster's, I guess I'll start a new one about the conversation I had....

A woman wasn't sure if her husband had Alzheimer's or AIDS. She consulted with her doctor and he told her to drop him off 15 miles from home. If he found his way back not to have sex with him.

Downeaster "You can't get there from here" It's Maine's motto isn't it? Or at least Poland Springs right? Seems justified, plus, you needed to ensure your sticker won't fly off.
Had a difficult time actually going to work today.....it was so nice this morning on the road.

Queenslegs; Talking decreases productivity. We use instant messaging here, so we don't have to get up from our desks. It's real. There are studies on printer placement so that the number of steps can minimized so you can get your butt back in the seat and get back to work.

Back