i have a carb question. kinda confused

shark1979

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
so i have cleaned the cards, and installed new main and piolt jets. seems to be running very good . still a little popping at idle and the right side. i tried to adjust the air screw but nothing happens all the way in and up to 4 turns out. no change. no popping on left side. if i adjust the air screw on the left side makes a lot of difference.

i have pod filters, shorty exhaust. 140 mains, and stock size piolts. carbs seem to work fine after you get some rpms.

any ideas

If nothing happens when you adjust the mix screw on the right and plenty happens when you do the left, it sounds like the pilot circuit including the pilot air jet and passage on the right might need more hosing out. Raisng the rpms brings the main into the picture so the problem would diminish if it was due to the pilot circuit. As is happening.

If your float level is way off, that can also have the same effect - turning the mix screw will do nothing and have no effect.

^I think that's more likely than what I said, since you've just now cleaned them. Look at your floats, and the seat o-rings if you have 'em.

I remember playing with my Yamaha Raptor carbs alot.. It was a single cylinder, twin carb, 660cc engine.

I had those things off of there so many times playing with jetting, cleaning, adjusting etc.. I could NOT get the bike to run right at all.. it would break up, sputter etc....

I read about the float level alot, but never really paid it much mind.. They looked even, but I never really checked..

As it ended up, the 1 float was several mm's off from spec.. As soon as I adjusted it to the same as the other one, the bike started running like a dream.. I could not believe the difference !!!

Im a strong believer in the proper float level now.

Back