I might BUY this XS . Thoughts

Yamaha77

Banned
Reaction score
My goal is to have 10 VINTAGE bikes (and 2 Ducatis):

3 Hondas (I have a 500F, a 750 and want another 750 to "cafe")
3 Yamahas (So far I have one)
2 Suzukis (not sure which yet)
2 Kawasakis

This one I may initiate buying tomorrow if the mood still strikes me: http://longisland.craigslist.org/mcy/5949636606.html

thoughts?

00O0O_lUHB7Kxxokg_600x450.jpg

Buying classic bikes requires way more commitment than you are showing on here. You have had your bike for quite some time now so should have an understanding of the workings of the XS650. With all the information given, and links posted there is all the information required to help you with any purchase of an XS650, some of that information was given as a link to a thread on "Guide to Buying - Get to Know your bike, a checklist for the condition of your find". and "Bike wont start?, Running rough". The link to these threads have been posted numerously, this is a friendly reminder they still exist.

No one can give a detailed account that can be relied on for the purposes of buying a bike from one pic. It could be an old pic , it may not even be the bike.

Any information is a guess for the most part, (some cosmetics and obvious visuals relating to wheels and brakes may be commented on),

If you do not have the confidence or skill to be able to diagnose a new purchase then take along a mechanic.

Last edited:
I don't know, LOOKS and SOUNDS 'clean'... But you know how pics are on the web! $2700 SOUNDS a little 'high' to me, but you're in a completely different physical location of the world. That being said, if $300 difference in the price is a total deal breaker, I wouldn't do it. BUT, if you're one of those cats that $ is less important than 'getting', DO IT! I like the ass-end on that thing and it likely cost some bucks (value). Good luck...

I don't know, LOOKS and SOUNDS 'clean'... But you know how pics are on the web! $2700 SOUNDS a little 'high' to me, but you're in a completely different physical location of the world. That being said, if $300 difference in the price is a total deal breaker, I wouldn't do it. BUT, if you're one of those cats that $ is less important than 'getting', DO IT! I like the ass-end on that thing and it likely cost some bucks (value). Good luck...

Im actually checking on something bigger as well. Check out this one: http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/mcy/5938656279.html

Yeah, so it appears your geo-locale prices are generally a little higher than what I'm used to out here... That's a gritty clean looking xs1100. I've never cared for the look of the 1100, but THAT one looks good. Change the seat a little and café it and it's a nice bike! Again, IF the bike holds up in person. and you KNOW WHAT 'could use a tune-up' can mean.... Maybe the owner worked and worked and worked and never COULD, get the miss or stumble or whatever malady it holds, FIXED. I'm pretty cautious on 'just needs a tune up'... Burnt valves, other more $$$ stuff can be hiding there. YUCK.

You won't have a problem breaking a 100mph on an xs1100. I believe they were the fastest bike at the time of being produced.

Im actually checking on something bigger as well. Check out this one: http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/mcy/5938656279.html

I don't think that's a '78. It appears to be a '79, it would take closer scrutiny to make the tell. The '79 has a different cam profile than the '78. Also, that is not the original seat. It had a cowl on the rear. I think that one came out of the Yamaha catalog. Yes, they were fast in their day. It will do 130+ in good tune. Same forks as the 650, only bigger. It handles a lot like a cow. I love those things!
Yamaha-XS1100-8.jpg

1978 XS1100E

Yeah so Ive heard. Im in love with Honda 750s though and have one. Its still a monster and the first REAL superbike

That XS1100 should kick CB750 ass! Not in the same league. Not only is the XS1100 fast, it also has shitty brakes. They're identical to what's on the XS650 +1. As a side note, the Special has a different front end.

only one of them gives me a SLIGHT problem, the XS I have now. It changed hands in a short period of time and is now mine. The ORIGINAL owner redid the bike quite well and sold it to someone last March who then sold it to me in August. (alternative facts).
View attachment 93867

You are into speed .......................Buy the 1100 way better bike.

I cant see some of the replies here, because....well, see my signature statement.
Yeah, so it appears your geo-locale prices are generally a little higher than what I'm used to out here... That's a gritty clean looking xs1100. I've never cared for the look of the 1100, but THAT one looks good. Change the seat a little and café it and it's a nice bike! Again, IF the bike holds up in person. and you KNOW WHAT 'could use a tune-up' can mean.... Maybe the owner worked and worked and worked and never COULD, get the miss or stumble or whatever malady it holds, FIXED. I'm pretty cautious on 'just needs a tune up'... Burnt valves, other more $$$ stuff can be hiding there. YUCK.

Yeah so Im def going with an xs1100. Maybe not the one listed but Ive found a few in the $2000 range.

Hi Yamaha77,
Go for it! An XS1100 will go 120mph easy with the rider sat up straight. Mind you, they run out of brakes and steering at about 90.
I'm too chicken to ride one solo so I hung a sidecar on my 1980 XS11 Special.

Picture007.jpg

I suppose I can put different forks and brakes on them?

This weekend I never learned more how tucking into a bike helps you go faster. I was doing 80 upright, and as soon as I tucked in I got up to 90. I know this fairing wont help much, but here is one I put on my 500F. Im going to get the SAME fairing for my 750 also pictured. Problem is, the paint on my 750 isnt stock and I cant get the paint code. So Im wondering what might be a good color to paint the fairing? Im open to ideas? Keep in mind Im a BIG fan of contrasting colors

IMG_6464.jpg

IMG_2743.jpg

s-l400.jpg

If you can take a part into the paint shop they can usually match the color. My local shop scans it in and mixes it for you.

Nice looking bikes!

Back