I might BUY this XS . Thoughts

I don't think that's a '78. It appears to be a '79, it would take closer scrutiny to make the tell. The '79 has a different cam profile than the '78. Also, that is not the original seat. It had a cowl on the rear. I think that one came out of the Yamaha catalog. Yes, they were fast in their day. It will do 130+ in good tune. Same forks as the 650, only bigger. It handles a lot like a cow. I love those things!
Yamaha-XS1100-8.jpg

1978 XS1100E

Im holding out for a few days. Seeing if the potentials will come down on the price.

Im holding out for a few days. Seeing if the potentials will come down on the price.
Hi Yamaha77,
a few C-notes difference in the price could well disappear in the cost of putting a bike of that age back on the road.
If you DO buy an XS11 you should sign up with this list because the XS11 also has it's little ideosyncracies :-
http://www.xs11.com/
Same style of knowledgeable grumpy old fellows as on this list.
and in some cases they are the SAME knowledgeable grumpy old fellows.

Hey, hey! I happen yo be one of those same grumpy old fellows.

Hi Marty,
you ain't as grumpy as me. OTOH you ain't as old as me neither.
And to all the list members out there who ain't old enough to be someone's grandfather, us old guys have put the time in and have earned the right to be grumpy.
So consider that any communication we make that ISN'T grumpy as a bonus.
Not that we'd expect you youngsters to be grateful.
That'd be too much to hope for.

Fred, i think its a Generational thing...............The younger ones don't realize, as you pointed out, that when you get to our age, (being less of life to look forward to than back), we can't be bothered wasting our time on the follies of the wasteful youth................I'll tell ya once.............i'll tell ya twice..............Don't want to listen............I have better things to do with my time.........Sometimes i persevere just to piss them off.........LOL....

I bet our fathers and theirs went through similar things

Yamaha77, have you considered going for a Suzuki GT750 water cooled triple - Perhaps metallic blue with twin front disc. They still look good after all these years.

Had too much fun today to think about buying another bike. Its like SPRING in NYC. it was 50 degrees. I had a very quick shoot as well:
View attachment 93909
View attachment 93910

Hi Yamaha77,
elegant look, eh? Last time I dressed that nice on an XS650 was in 1989:-

fawedding.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Sorry I was out enjoying the weather. OMG that is a BEAUTIFUL PIC!!! Heartwarming even. You two look so happy!!!

Last edited:
Back