I really liked our Tucson

fredintoon

Fred Hill, S'toon.
Top Contributor
Reaction score
2008 Hyundai Tucson. Not a mark on it. Paid for, too.
Then what must have been a blind driver T-boned us on the driver's side rear corner.
One minute I'm just sat in the passenger seat then BANG! the next minute I'm
hanging sideways in my safety strap looking down at my wife asking
"Are you still alive?"
The Tucson had been rolled completely over and had finally landed on it's driver's side pointing 270º from
where it was heading.
And some clown is shouting through the shattered windshield about how sorry he was
that he's hit us and that he'd already sent for emergency services.
So the Firemen cut the roof off the Hyundai, the Cops talked to the guy who'd hit us,
and the Ambulance men put neck braces on us strapped us to stretchers and drove us to hospital.
3 hours of X-rays, MRIs, pokes & prods later plus 3 stitches in my right hand courtesy of our windshield
later we get released and our daughter-in-law drove us home. Shaken AND stirred but no bones broken
although you'd be amazed at our technicolor bruises.
It's also amazing how quickly one passes through being grateful to have survived a total write-off
with (hopefully) recoverable injuries to being pissed off at having to start making payments on a replacement vehicle.

Happy to hear you and Mrs. Toon are OK Fred.

Wow! Fred, I’m so happy to hear that you and your wife escaped relatively unscathed, sounds like it wouldn’t have taken that hit to be a little bit further towards the front of your vehicle and the outcome would’ve been much different. It’s terrible that it happened and I hope you guys recover quickly. Tomorrow you’ll probably be hurting in places you didn’t even know you had.
Take care,
Bob

I too am glad to hear that neither you or your wife were injured. Be careful with the insurance companies!

Bummer, Fred. Happy to hear you guys are okay. The Tucson was only a thing and can be replaced. You and the wife can't. I don't know about the insurance laws in The Great White North, but I'd get a lawyer, and make that guy's insurance company buy you a new one. New. Ya know, to cover the pain, suffering, and inconvenience of that bonehead totaling your car... :doh:

Thanks to everyone for the advice and good wishes,
All Saskatchewan vehicles are insured by SGI (Saskatchewan Government Insurance) so there's no squabbles between rival insurers.
My "blind driver" accepted full responsibility so my deductible is zero.
SGI will continue to pay for the rental car for 7 days after their adjuster has made an offer on the written off Hyundai.
That's just on the car.
Meanwhile a different adjuster is handling the personal injury claim which by it's nature can take longer.
But that's just stuff, eh?
Alva and I are still recovering from the cuts & bruises but hope to be back in good shape in the near future.

Hi Fred..sorry for your mishap. Glad the vehicle took the worst of it and that you all are relatively ok. With their admission of guilt/fault..there shouldnt be any need for you to pay for another vehicle at all as you originally had feared...

I would suspect the crap shoot is that insurance will only pay the replacement value on your 11 year old Tuscon. Who knows what they will value it at, and then you only have money to buy another used equivalent. Who knows what maintenance was done or hidden gremlins may arise in buying a used car.

I drive a 2008 Honda Ridgeline that I bought used and have owned for 9 years. A couple years ago a large tree fell on it during a storm. The repair bill was over 8 grand, but I was happy they did not total it for several reasons. I know all the repairs I have done, and what needed to be done. I had just put new tires on it a month prior. If they had totalled it I would have maybe gotten $8000 and had to go out to try and find a comparable vehicle or use that money on a down payment for a larger payment. There is a lot to be said for owning a vehicle for so long. You know the ins and outs, all the quirks and whatnot. Some may be happy to buy another vehicle, but it sounds like you were very happy with the Tucson. I hope you will find a replacement that can treat you as well as this one did. Good luck Fred, hope you and Mrs. Toon mend up quickly.

- - - it sounds like you were very happy with the Tucson. I hope you will find a replacement that can treat you as well as this one did. Good luck Fred, hope you and Mrs. Toon mend up quickly.

Hi willis.
new tires on the Tucson, too. Fair market value is the best we can hope for but SGI's adjuster seems to be turning incompetence into an artform.
The cops finally got the Tucson's data and released it to SGI so the adjuster could look at it.
She couldn't have looked too closely because her lowball offer was based on the value of a different model of 2008 Hyundai
Hopefully we can get a better number when they fix their research parameters
Lucky we can arrange to buy a somewhat newer replacement ahead of the settlement because they'll only pay for the rental for a week after
the write-off decision. .But that's just about the cost of stuff, eh? The good news is we are recovering OK with the help of (a different branch of)
SGI who will pay for chiropractic treatments, therapeutic massages and acupuncture.

Back