I rode with out an auto advance

Cole connell

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I bought a just bored out 81 xs650 rode it for an hour the took it apart To make a bobber. I realized that there was no pamco our auto advance, I know if you ride with out them you lose a lot of power. If I put a pamco and advance unit back in it do I get the power back?

It's an '81. It has a TCI.
There is nothing behind the points cover.
Black box under th battery, pick-up on the stator.
All of this is explained in the manual....which I suggest you get.

It's an '81. It has a TCI.
There is nothing behind the points cover.
Black box under th battery, pick-up on the stator.
All of this is explained in the manual....which I suggest you get.
I just want to know if I put an advance unit in will I get the power back

No, the ignition on 80 and up xs is a TCI ignition. It is not cam driven with points like the 70's models. There is a big black box on your bike under the battery tray, that is the ignition. You won't gain a power boost from a Pamco or otherwise.

You have an advance unit, OP; it's electronic. If you don't get a manual and study it you're going to have nothing but grief.

If you really did not have an advance unit, the bike would not have revved up much above idle - and you certainly would have had a pretty tough time riding it.

Anyhow, if it ran OK, then you have a fully functional TCI system, which means that you don't need anything else.

Pete

S
If you really did not have an advance unit, the bike would not have revved up much above idle - and you certainly would have had a pretty tough time riding it.

Anyhow, if it ran OK, then you have a fully functional TCI system, which means that you don't need anything else.

Pete
does it help if you buy a pamco and advance and put it on it?

You're just beating around the bush here. Tell us what the real problem is. Is it just a loss of power? How long have you had the bike, and when did it last run normally? Is it running on both cylinders?

You're just beating around the bush here. Tell us what the real problem is. Is it just a loss of power? How long have you had the bike, and when did it last run normally? Is it running on both cylinders?
It runs fine I saw that it didn't have an auto advance so I was reading up on what happens if you don't run one but I guess 80 to 83 have a tci, but does that mean I don't need an auto advance?

You have everything you need already. If you feel it's lacking power I would clean the carbs, if that doesn't help I would start troubleshooting the electrics.

The TCI has auto advance. Its built into the electronics black box.
You say its down on power but now say it runs fine. Which is it?
I said it wrong I should have been more clear I read up and herd that I loses power with out it but it ran fine so I just wanted to cover my bases.

Back