I Somehow Fried My New Stator

ThisAdamThat

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I've been reading this forum for a while as I've been working on my '78 Special, but this is my first post.

This spring I did the PMA swap using Hugh's kit. The swap seemed to work great and for a few months the bike was riding great. After a few months, however, the battery suddenly stopped charging. Upon inspection, I found that the wires going to the stator were completely fried. There are also burn marks on the stator bracket.

I'm planning to get a new stator, but before I do I'd like to know what I did wrong in my first installation. Could I have somehow wired it wrong? Did I run the wiring too close to the bracket? The last rides I did on the bike were close to 200 miles. Was that too much for the thing?

Any help is sincerely appreciated. Please note that I am new to this and my level of knowledge is quite low.

Thanks!

Adam

Your best bet would be to contact Hugh and provide pics of the installation so that he may be able to see any possible errors in the installation. As far as whether or not 200 miles is to much for these things, I am assuming that you mean XS's with PMA's, I am of the opinion that they should be able to handle as much if not more than us as riders would be able to handle. Again get in touch with Hugh as he is a regular on this forum and he is always ready to lend a hand and stand behind his products 100% with excellent customer service and an outstanding warranty.

Back