I think I screwed the pooch (front tire)

Scottrt

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Well, according to j & p cycles the proper fitment for the front of my 1983 is a 110 / 90 by 19. So I ordered a shinko 230 touring tire in that size and it just arrived and it is appearing way too fat to fit in the stock fender. It's got a Dunlop k71 on it right now 100/90-19 and it barely clears. So is a 100 width generally a safe bet or are there some brands of tires that even that is too wide to fit?

100/90-19 is the correct tire for that bike. Depending upon the brand of tire, a 110 may fit, but you may not be able to fit a fart between the tire and the fender.

What he said. Shinkos run fat. Doubt it will work.
I'm betting 110/90-19 is correct for a 1983 XJ650, and J&P doesn't know the difference between a 1983 XS650 and a 1983 XJ650.

Here’s a 110 wide ancient Yokohama tire on my standard. It fits, but not well. It looks too big.
image.jpg

The 110 is going back in a 100 is on its way and boy I hope even that fits. A 100 really fills that fender as it is.
100 mm wide will fit no matter the brand. 100/90-19 100=width in millimeters 90=aspect ratio (sidewall is 90% as tall as the tire is wide) 19=rim diameter in inches
These numbers aren't usually very accurate. One mold may make two or three tire sizes. A tire engineer told me this.

Those sizes are nominal. The way manufactures measure and molds them can cause wide variations in the actual width.
Even mounting on different width rims can make a tire wider or skinnier.
A skinny rim pulls the tire in narrower than a wider rim.
Looking at tires on the rack and comparing them side by side can fool your eye. Tires can and do change width and height after mounting. It may not be much but can make a difference.
The scrub rail on the side wall makes a big difference. Some don't have much of a scrub rail and other have much more.
Many tire manufacturers have listings on there sites that have width and heights when mounted on the prescribed rim sizes.
As mentioned earlier those specs can change if mounted on rims of a different width.
Leo

Yep, Shinko's run bigger than most other brands. I have them on four different bikes, three different models, all the stock size. The front one on my GoldWing rubs on a fork brace rivet, but, no gouging on the tire. Two bikes, both CB750C's, no problems, just right. The bobber XS that I'm molesting, front tire will be one size smaller next time, if that's available, but otherwise OK for now.

Still, sticking with Shinko's, had a rash of side splits with 4 Bridgestone's less than 2yrs from manufacturing date, never again.

Scott

Last edited:
I'm running a Shinko 230 Tour Master, 100/90 19 on the front of the SG. No problems

I've read that Shinko Customer Service is very helpful when asked what size to order for different bikes. They know what stock sizes of their tires can cause problems with different bikes. I've just never asked.

Scott

It's better than the 712's I was running. 230's don't follow the "Tar Snakes" or road grooves as bad as the 712's did. Good traction dry and wet.

Back