1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Facebook people... We've created a group for XS650.com members to connect. Check it out!
    Dismiss Notice

ID Cam - Shell No. 3?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by lakeview, Feb 11, 2019.

1. lakeview

lakeview XS650 Guru Top Contributor XS650.com Supporter

20190211_090416.jpg
    Going through a box of new parts from a project bike purchased last summer, I see this 36 tooth cam with no other markings but a number 3.
    Is this the way a Shell No. 3 cam would be identified?
    Also, it may be for sale.

2. jay760

jay760 XS650 Junkie

All the standard cams have some sort of numbering or lettering on them, I'm thought the shell no 3 was a high lift cam which would be easy to spot as the top of the lobes would gave a visible weld on the side of them as in the lobe is two different colours,
    If you found it in a box of bits with 80mm pistons, ported heads and slide carbs then you might have something special.

3. lakeview

No such luck. It did come in a bag with a small tube of super cam lube, though.

4. Jim

Jim People will come Ray, people will definately come. Top Contributor XS650.com Supporter

Measure the lift? stock intakes supposed to be 1.574... ex. 1.576. If they're bigger than that, it prolly is a shell...

MaxPete and lakeview like this.
  5. lakeview

20190213_085156.jpg
    A bit more rooting through the items shows this fact sheet about the cam. I measured the total height of the lobe to be 38.50mm or 1.5 ".
    The 447 stamp is nowhere on this cam.

6. grizld1

grizld1 Grumpy old man Top Contributor

The 59A is a Web grind, very decent street cam. The 100.5* LC should deliver strong midrange torque. Lift isn't drastic but ramps are fast; best to install RD springs.

TwoManyXS1Bs and gggGary like this.
  7. lakeview

Thank you for that information, once again I appreciate the depth of the experience on this board and the willingness to share.

gggGary likes this.
  8. jay760

jay760 XS650 Junkie

I've had a couple of webcam 59a camshaft, they have good mid range very good for road use, but they were both stamped 59a