On a chart i have it is an XS650P, and any in any other country the 650P model was a police bike. Do you know if it was? Could that be why the engines didn't have a number stamped on them or have a 3G5 code stamped.

Curious minds.

On a chart i have it is an XS650P, and any in any other country the 650P model was a police bike. Do you know if it was? Could that be why the engines didn't have a number stamped on them or have a 3G5 code stamped.

No, there's no evidence that these were police bikes. They had no special brackets fitted, no attachments and no frame mods for equipment or fairings. And none of them appear to have racked up the heavy mileages you'd expect of police bikes. I suspect, in this case, P was just the next letter in some Yamaha clerk's ledger.

XS650 Specials were a popular model in Japan at the time, hence the extra batch made to Jap specs for Japanese dealers - you'll find lots of pics of ordinary Japanese guys riding round on these blue and maroon models if you Google for pics of 3G5 XS650s.

The lack of engine number is a non-issue too. Yamaha manufactured many batches of their various models - from mopeds to monsters - solely for Japanese dealers when demand required it. None of these were given unique engine numbers, because local vehicle regulations simply didn't require them.

Some markets' Yamaha batches didn't even receive frame numbers in those days: Pakistan for example, Brazil, Taiwan, Hong Kong, Singapore, Colombia, Thailand, Philippines and quite a few other countries that had small manufacturing runs tailored specially for them. Imagine trying to explain one of those to your local vehicle reg authority's imports department :confused:

3G5 000xxx machines also had an odd, hybrid electric setup with separate regulator and rectifier but with CDI ignition.
Seems I was in error on the electrics. I'm in the early stages of stripping my example down and now that I get the crud off and examine the wiring in detail it looks like it would have had the standard TCI setup originally - just that mine's been messed with by a previous owner, which is what threw me at first. I think I'll take it back to standard and start from there.

The nearest wiring diagram for this model would probably be one for an XS650G - with the addition of a 'Pass' button to the left handlebar switch block.

Welcome to the forum Neil always interesting to read about special special editions :D

hope you'll post a picture of your bike some time and check out the UK forum customxs650.com hope to see you over there some time Don't worry we're not all hack n chop merchants lol:wink2:
John

Question. I've looked at the list of id's for the VIN. My Vin is S650116672. I believe from my research that it's a 1970 XS1. Am I correct? Or am I way way off? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Question. I've looked at the list of id's for the VIN. My Vin is S650116672. I believe from my research that it's a 1970 XS1. Am I correct? Or am I way way off? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

That VIN would make it an XS2, 71-72. Should have electric start and a front disc.

- a collation of data I found in various lists

- any errors let me know so I can change them

i looked up the serial # on this chart for my 78 yamaha found its a xs se but, how do i determine the code 2m0 or 3m0 the serial # exist in both codes mine is 2f0115049 and is it canadian or us::confused:

i looked up the serial # on this chart for my 78 yamaha found its a xs se but, how do i determine the code 2m0 or 3m0 the serial # exist in both codes mine is 2f0115049 and is it canadian or us::confused:

That would be a 78 XS650SE, USA model, available in Vintage Burgundy (VB) or New Midnight Blue (NMB), Yamaha model code 2M0. The equivalent 78+79 Canadian models used 447-xxxxxx serial numbers. I can't find any models listed against the 3M0 code.

Interesting. I'd thought VB and NMB were unique to Japanese XS650s, but not so apparently.

That would be a 78 XS650SE, USA model, available in Vintage Burgundy (VB) or New Midnight Blue (NMB), Yamaha model code 2M0. The equivalent 78+79 Canadian models used 447-xxxxxx serial numbers. I can't find any models listed against the 3M0 code.

Interesting. I'd thought VB and NMB were unique to Japanese XS650s, but not so apparently.

thanks alot neil, for the info, i bought it for 100.00 wih 5$ bills isaved for a year. it had ben outside in the weather coulda got it 4 50.00 but id aready told him 100.00 but had 2 track down the owner(original) anywayit had everything except a rear tire(tyre) anda seatw/pan. i'll b workin on it 4 a couple of years but eventuay i'll get it done an give it 2 one of my kids. and thanks again for chatting:thumbsup:

On a chart i have it is an XS650P, and any in any other country the 650P model was a police bike. Do you know if it was?
Curious minds.

Just to be precise, the 3G5 machines where classified as 'XS650SP'. The 'XS650P' (model code 1E5) was actually a roadster from 75 and 77, sold in Oceania and other markets.

Last edited:
Where is the code located? And is the engine vin number located at the front of the block vertically kind of underneath the oil tube?

There is a white sticker on the steering neck. This has a 17 digit VIN. Beside it stamped into the steel is a 9 digit frame number. I think it was 82 when started using the 17 digit VIN. Before that they used the frame number as a VIN.
The 9 digits stamped in the engine is an engine number. It came from the factory with the same number as the 9 digit frame number.
If yours match fine If they don't it's no problem, Engines get swapped around a lot.
Leo

hey guys.
I got an 83, pretty sure its an xs-sk. i need to know what kinda ignition system this is. New to the engine work, but im finding it easy with tutorials on this website. If I can ID the system, i think i can find a lesson on how to check the timing. This is a kick only bike. Thanks for your help in advance.
lCSH57D.jpg
zF8RMem.jpg

Top pic is the ignition. It looks to be a Boyer.
The bottom pic is the alternator. Looks to be stock.
The alternator except for the timing marks has very little to do with ignition. It just keeps the battery charged.
Leo

Can anyone give me a hand, not sure if im reading it right... my motor and frame number is 447-114262. So if going of the chart its an xsb?

Back