Ok, the model year starts in August, ends in July. So 1/79 would be January 79. Is January 79after August 78? And before July 79?
Because all the 79's were produced between August 78 and July 79.
So know ing this means your bike IS a 79. The 2FO-169xxx Makes it an XS650SF or XS650-2F
The difference between the SF and 2F are cosmetic.
The SF has more chrome, mag wheels, disc rear brake, aluminum grab rail, lift off seat.
The 2F had a chrome steel tube for the grab rail, Spoke wheels, drum rear brake, Black chain guard, The tail light and lisence plate mount and light were all one unit, side flip up seat, And the side covers say Special II on them.
Now your bike may or may not have these things. After 32 years a few parts may have been swapped around.
A pic or two can help us tell you more about your bike.

Sorry XSleo
But all of the 78SE/79SF/79Special 2 and the 80G Special 2, have the hinged seat, the lift off seats started with the 80SG Special. The 78/79 SE/SF and Special 2 have the chrome rear grab-rail.

The 79F is the Standard model, the 79SF is the Special so the 79 Special 2 Has no Alphabet prefix

78SE/79SF Have The Mags Wheels with Disc brakes rear and front The 79Special 2 has a 16in spoke rear wheel with a drum brake and 19in spoke front wheel. These wheels are made of alloy and this is the only year the 16/19in spoke alloy rims were made.

The 80G Special2 have 16/19in Chrome rims with a drum rear brake, the 80SG with the mag wheel has a disc rear brake.

The 81SH went back to a drum rear brake with a mag wheel

Thanks for the help 650Skull.
I have the Yamaha supplementary service manuals. The 79 lists the models as XS650SF/XS650-2F. The 80 has pics of the G/SG. I was kinda going by them and what I remembered from other discussions on these years.
These years with the three models are confusing.

This is the serial number i got from the guy

2FO-172474

It looks like a 1979 cobalt blue, red I'm not sure the numbers didn't really match. Can anyone confirm to make me feel better.

Learn to read a chart. The numbers don't match because the numbers on the chart are the first number that year/model came out with. Then read the next year/model up and your number is somewhere in between

ok so to make sure i have this correct s650-200498 would be a 1973 xs650 correct? frame number and engine numbers are the same its already hardtailed so can cross reference with mixes look alike type info

1rst bike 1979 - Frame & Engine code are the same 2F0-020XXX making it a XS-F okay no problem.
2nd bike Salvage Title (just frame and motor) 1979 - Frame = 2F0-172XXX Also making it an XS-F
However the engine (that I will be using in this frame) = 5V4-006XXX making it an XS-J Heritage...?
Will that engine XS-J fit in that XS-F frame? Also Would I be able to swap parts from one engine to another?

I just got a da 650 that I'm bobbing out iv got two questions dose the fact that my bike and motor have matching numbers make it more valuible? And my bin number is 477-109*** dose that mean its a 75?
Please help thanks :thumbsup:

Posted via Mobile

1rst bike 1979 - Frame & Engine code are the same 2F0-020XXX making it a XS-F okay no problem.
2nd bike Salvage Title (just frame and motor) 1979 - Frame = 2F0-172XXX Also making it an XS-F
However the engine (that I will be using in this frame) = 5V4-006XXX making it an XS-J Heritage...?
Will that engine XS-J fit in that XS-F frame? Also Would I be able to swap parts from one engine to another?

Yes to all. The difference between the 79 and 83 motor is the 79 has points and the 83 has electronic ignition, no advance weights and points or shaft.

Ive always just called YAMAHA INTERNATIONAL CUSTOMER SERVICE @1-800-962-7926. Give them your Numbers, motor and frame, and they tell you the exact year. You be on the phone on hold for 25 minutes while they look it up. But it still the best solution I've used.

Back