From Wicpedia.
Oceania is a region centered on the islands of the tropical Pacific Ocean.[1] Conceptions of what constitutes Oceania range from the coral atolls and volcanic islands of the South Pacific (ethnologically divided into the subregions of Melanesia, Micronesia, and Polynesia[2]) to the entire insular region between Asia and the Americas, including Australasia and the Malay Archipelago

trying to find out the difference between the 3u6 and the 3w6 The 3u6 didn't come to the Australasia countries and i suspect it has an electronic ignition. There ia another thread with a guy who has one but doesn't want to tell us?

On the chart where is says 79-80 that was the manufactured dates. The manufacturing yesr is September to August. So the 79-80 is from September 79 to August 80. This makes it an 80 model year.
Leo

I have just got another xs was told it's a 75 model checking the numbers engine is xs650 200 which means its a 73 are they a better motor than the 447 cheers Peter

The 256 engines are not nessasarilybeter or worse than the 447 or 533 for that matter.
The 256 used some two stroke technology that turned out to not work so well with a four stroke. The biggie is the rod small ends. They used a needle bearing there. This made the rod end a bit thin and would get egg shaped under hard use. This led to rod failures.
Not a problem on most street bikes, just those used for racing.
Some say the way the intake and exhaust port angles and shape made on the 256 made them run better than the 447's. Some attribute this better running to different cam specs. It may be both.
I have never had a 256 engined bike to play with. I canonly repeat what others have said.
Leo

Thanks for this thread. I was able to identify my newly acquired XS as a 1980 Jap model SG(frame # 3G5 000xxx)

But my engine is only stamped as "447". Is that (un)usual?

Back