i got this old xs in a amen savior frame.

seems the only things that stayed with the motor were the front end
and possibly the rims.

vin.447-711563

cant track down the model anywere. yama corp wont answer, help.

There are several vin to year/model lists around. Look in the XS650 TECH section.
If you look you will find that's a US 76 XS650D model vin.
The engine numbers matched the frame numbers when they came from the factory. The vin to year/modell,ists work for the engine number as well as the frame number.
Leo

medic51, up at the top of the page, click on XS650 TECH, scroll all the way down. click ID your bike. First post click on the link. It takes you to a vin the year list, scoll to page two.
If you do you will find that a 4N9-000xxx is an 81 XS650H, Special II.
Leo

Thanks Leo,I didnt realize that the last three numbers was the number of the specific bike. I thought I might have some special 502 xs! lol...

The 83 XS650SK(Canadain) is a 5V5-030xxx, your 5V5-040135 is an 84 XS650SL.
The 84's started at 5V5-040101 your 135 makes it the 34th bike built that year.
Leo

yeah after I posted I found out about the 5V5 Canadian bikes. This very very late XS650 engine is going into a 1972 frame. Fitting somehow.

It will fit just fine, you just use the 72 engine mounts.
The engines all have the same mount points on them. The early, 70-73, had one frame style and used different mounts.
In 74 the did many upgrades to the frame to make it stiffer and not flex under hard running. These mods changed the engine mounts.
That said all year engines bolt into all year frames as long as you use the mounts that go with the frame.
Leo

Oh I know - the current engine is a 78. I picked up this engine to do a 750/rephase/ported head engine to take to the BUB Speed Trials this August. Just assembling the engine now.

Hello all,
so I'm a new member with a new bike and I just want to be sure that I've been reading the charts right to ID the bike. The frame and engine read 2F0- 212814. Does this make it a '79 XS650SG special, an '80, or something else? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Also, I'm looking at buying mikesxs "Cafe/Sport - 1980-84 'Special' Type" seat and want to make sure it would fit properly. Again, any advice would be appreciated.

79 was the F models, the 80 was the G models. The letter designates the year. The 75 was the B , 76 the C, 77 the D, and so on. The S designates the Specials.
In the charts the 79-80 was the years of manufacture. The Manufacturing year is from August of one year to July of the next year. 80's were built from Aug 79 to July 80. Starting in Aug of 80 they started building the 81's.
If your frame still has a readable VIN sticker it will have a manufactered date on it.
The 2F0-212814 is an 80 XS650 SG The first number for that year was 2F0-200101. That would make yours number 12,713 made for that year.
Leo

XSLeo said
The 2F0-212814 is an 80 XS650 SG The first number for that year was 2F0-200101. That would make yours number 12,713 made for that year.
Well, thanks for clearing my confusion. When I looked at the chart I didn't see the skip to the '80 SG for the 2F0. Sorry for the wrong info, Sebastian, and again thanks Leo.

It can be a bit confusing, they used the 2F0 numbers for several years. In 78 the they used a 2F0-100xxx for the E and SE, In 79 they used 2F0-150xxx for the F and SF, They also used the 2F0-250xxx for the SF as well as the 78 SE and E Special II, The 2F0-xxx was used for 80 SG.
So depending on the year and how close you look at the year to VIN lists it does get confusing.
There are several list out there. The one hmusket links is just one and isn't quite as well defined as others. The one I like and seems more informative is up in the tech section. It has several pages and list bikes as to where they where shipped.
Simular numbers may have been on bikes sent to different places. Some never left Japan, some went to Europe, some to Austrailia, One year they had a French set of numbers.
After all these years and how they get shipped all over now, numbers that went to the USA are all over the world. Lots are being sent to Europe and Austrailia.
This helps add to the confusion.
Add to that after the early 256 engines, Europe got the 533 engine, the USA got the 477 engine. Some places got different options, and this effected the wiring diagrams.
Some got two smaller front disc brakes, some one larger disc.
In 80 the USA got the TCI, other places never got the TCI and had points well past 80.
As to the carbs, they did major changes every two years, some smaller changes every year.
Lets just say that thier is a lot to learn about these bikes. I learn something new all the time. Even people with 30+ years of working on these do now and again.
It's not just a bike, it's an adventure.
Leo

Hi Guys, I've just bought what is stated as being a 1978 XS 650 OD frame No/ 447724328. I've looked at the ID charts here and it shows it as being a 76-77 US model. Does that sound right? Also on this bike the front brake disc is on the left. All the photos I have seen show it on the right. Has some one put it back together wrong. I am putting new fork seals in and found they are 34 mm which would support 1977, right?
This is a great site, full of heaps and heaps of useful info
. Love it.

Back