Identify forks on '78

Kickflippin

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
So I've been tearing into a partial basketcase that came with a good number of spare parts. Some obviously from other year XS's but a few I can't explain (17" wheels off a Suzuki Katana, anyone?).

The forks mounted on the bike aren't stock as far as I can tell. Forum research shows the spare set as the oem product. The spares are 30", top of axle to top of fork tube, the unknowns are a bit over 31" by the same measurement, and quite a bit longer overall as the lowers extend beyond the axle. I know fork swaps are popular, but I like the look of the originals.

Both are pictured, and I swear i'm not the guy who painted the rotors all black!

Bonus question- does anyone know a reliable place to buy an oem fork clamp for the bottom? The mystery parts box didn't include it. Mikes XS doesn't have them. Thanks!

k1dYDKK.png

32UQPYw.png

LtlCwkW.png

qgdBPvW.png

I was with jussumguy until I took another look
36mm tube diameter XS750/850 Special and 37mm tube diameter XS11 Special forks look similar but their lowers all have a triangular lug to mount their ATE style swivelling tapered pad front calipers.
But those forks have XS650 style brake caliper lugs on the left side, an XS series front wheel with it's disk on the left side and the speedo drive don't seem to be connected to the fork lower.

Bonus question- does anyone know a reliable place to buy an oem fork clamp for the bottom? The mystery parts box didn't include it. Mikes XS doesn't have them. Thanks!

You mean the triple trees?
I'd say buying them used is your only option.

Not XS750 Triple forks, the caliper mount is wrong.

Those axle clamps for the XS forks are like hens teeth. Seen one on fleabay for $40.00, NOS.

Thanks for the input everyone. I'm going to try to find the lower fork clamp and install the stock forks, after giving them a good cleaning and polish. I'd love to mill them down but not sure how to keep the brake caliper mounts if I do.

Great part resource weekendrider, thanks!

Upper pics are of a forward leading axle. Could be from a Virago. It would be good to know what diameter those tubes are.
If the triple is from the same bike that those forks are from they should be kept as a unit-as in don't put stock xs forks into a leading axle triple......though leading axle forks into a stock xs triple will give you a bit of a rake at the wheel. Never tried it and haven't seen it yet........

Upper pics are of a forward leading axle. Could be from a Virago. It would be good to know what diameter those tubes are.
If the triple is from the same bike that those forks are from they should be kept as a unit-as in don't put stock xs forks into a leading axle triple......though leading axle forks into a stock xs triple will give you a bit of a rake at the wheel. Never tried it and haven't seen it yet........

Both forks are 35mm. As far as the triples.... maybe you can differentiate? It would be good to know what is meant to go with what. The lower clamps are different, i.e. different mounting holes. I couldn't tell if the angles are different by eye test.

The top clamp (unattached) has built-in handlebar risers/clamps, I'm assuming this is NOT the stock setup. thanks!

kjX25iu.png

As9nUqW.png

Like NJ sez, forward mount fork lowers and stock XS650 triple trees alter the front wheel trail.
if you are thinking about mix'n'matching the XS650 fork legs and the 'trees in the lower photo,
first check the distance from the steering post hole and the two fork tube holes.
If it's the same as the XS650 'trees, fine.
If it's more the steering will be lighter.
If it's less the steering will be heavier.

Hi kop,
OK then,
If the fork tubes are moved forward the front wheel moves with them which reduces the steering trail which lightens the steering.
Move the tubes backwards for the opposite result.
I did this on purpose (Standard 'trees & Special fork legs) to lighten the steering when building my XS11 sidecar rig which led to my concern that the OP might do it by accident.
Alas that Standard and Special XS650s have identical forks so there ain't no mix'n'match fork option for my XS650 rig but if the OPs orphan 'trees do reach further forward than the XS650 'trees I'll make him an offer for them.

Sorry for the late post, but I thought I'd do comparison pictures for anyone still curious. The measurements on both triples are exactly the same - 4.5" center to center between steertube and forktube, 7" center-to-center between the forktubes. In fact, both are Yamaha brand (small cast logo on underside. The differences are circled in the below photo.

My best guess is that they are both XS triples, just from different years since the mounts are slightly different? Thanks all. I'd still like to know so I can sell the spares with a little info, instead of "unknown yamaha triples for sale".

p2xBYhI.png

OK then,
all I got is negatives.
Those orphans ain't off an XS series three or four cylinder because the fork tubes are only 35mm diameter and the fork sliders are different.
Next Yamaguess anyone?

The '77 xs750 triple is a 36mm creature.....I don't believe they would reduce the diameter in the newer triples to 35mm.
Check eBay for pics of Virago forks and triples for sale.

Back