Identifying potential source of oil leak (stud under starter motor?)

TexasChris

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Morning guys,

I picked up my first XS650 a few weeks back. Its had lots of work done to it already (set up as a flat tracker, some really good stuff), but it was never really run in after the guy built it, so I'm having to work out a few little bugs.

One of which is a little oil leaking, nothing major, but enough that i'd like to sort it.

The pervious owner had installed new gaskets, and I re-tourqued the head after the first couple rides, but it seems like it could be coming from underneith/below the motor. The starter motor has been removed and a blanking plate fitted, however there is a little threaded stud, that I imagine would normally be hidden by the starter that could be a source of the leak. Could anyone give me a clue to what this is? The picture below is just a pic i found online for illistration , however, it shows a little acron nut on there...there is no nut in place on my motor?!? Source of the problem? Does it need a sealing washer and nut on there?

I'd appriciate any information on the topic. I'm not brand new to working on bikes, but in no way an expert, and I am brand new to XSs so i'm still figuring things out.

Thanks,
Chris

Attachments

• starter space.jpg
    starter space.jpg
    161.1 KB · Views: 833
Hi Man,

Thanks for the killer quick response! Yeah, thats the spot.

So a missing nut, no sealant, etc, would totally be a suspect for oil leaking! I'll give it a go.

Thanks again,
Chris

That location gets an acorn nut with a copper sealing washer.

Back