Identifying XS engine model

burton1234

XS650 Member
Reaction score
New to the world of owning a vintage motorcycle so apologies if these questions are easily answered.

How do I know what engine model I have? My bike is a 1978 us import. I think I have a bit of slack in the head/piston so I think I need to replace these and it seems like a good idea to spend the extra money and get the 750cc upgrade kit.

I also need to replace the clutch on the bike and I see that the usual online shops sell a 6 or 7 friction plate option. Without disassembling the clutch how can I tell how which option I need?

Thanks,

:agree:
Since nearly all years of motors are plug and play to most year frames, get the engine number off the (riders) right front of the motor behind the tach drive. THEN search the VIN for info, most likely you have a 447 motor.

Around 1980, the clutch was changed from a 7 friction plate to a 6 friction plate assembly. Since parts are so easily and often swapped on these, the only way you'll know for sure which clutch you have would be to pull it apart. A stock '78 model would have the 7 plate unit but like I said, they're easily swapped. I put the later 6 plate clutch in my '78.

Back