Identifying your spare key blanks

peanut

XS650 enthusiast & inveterate tinkerer
Top Contributor
Reaction score
I wouldn't expect XS650 owners to have any difficulty identifying and replacing their ignition keys in the USA but here in Britain things arn't so straightfoward.

I thought the following might be useful to other UK and Euro XS owners and is the result of hours of searching and fruitless emails to various UK key Companies . There are numerous similar looking keyblanks where some of the grooves and keyways are different by only 1mm width or placement!

This is the key that came with my 1979 Special ll imported from the US . The key blank is made by Errebi but their identificaion Number has unfortunately worn off. 5twins and Weekendrider have helped me identify this key pattern as X117 /YH48
xs650 key number.JPG

There are numerous other key Companies that produce an identical key blank pattern and each use their own unique key identification Number although all of the following keys are exact copies and equivalent to the Errerbi X117 /YH48 pattern blank. Hope this saves someone hours of searching for a spare key.
X117 /YH48
Equivalent . to:
Curtis YM59
Dominion YH48
Ilco X117
Ilco EZ YH48
Jet YH48
JMA YAMA19i
Original 1228
Orion YM37L
CM Taylor X117
Silca YH29L
United Kingdom owners can obtain a spare key which is cut to their key number online by simply sending their key number to Keytrader uk at http://www.keytrader.co.uk/Vehicle-Keys/Motorbike-Keys/YAMAHA/YH29R-Key-Blank.html
blank Keys cost £1.99 posted plus £2.00 for cutting if required. Our local key cutter charges £10.00 to cut a key so thats quite a bargain I reckon.

Amazingly Keytrader took my order in the afternoon and cut and delivered 2x cut keys the next mornings post ! thats 17 hour turnaround !

Even in the USA this can be a great adventure with dealers dropping like flies and a great distance between them. I found that the farm supply store near me had almost every motorcycle key blank that anyone would ever need. problem was that it was near impossible for them to copy a key that would work. After two or three failures this store would recommend the locksmith in the same plaza. I took the bait recently because I needed a key for three different reasons on the same machine before selling individual parts. So, for at least the near future I have found a full service locksmith, with great prices, much less than 100 miles away, that can copy a key or cut to code with blanks readily available. I told the clerk/tech that I could hug her, she immediately was on the defense.

Scott

I told the clerk/tech that I could hug her, she immediately was on the defense.

Scott

as long as that wasn't pepper spray or a swift knee in the family jewels :laugh2:

I like the way you Yanks talk about just 100 miles down the road for some shopping .:rolleyes: here in the UK that would be a major ride requiring considerable planning, lots of food and drink and a back up service vehicle following !:D

I know this is a slightly older thread, but I'm old too, sort of. I did not receive keys for the bike I am about to restore. First question; is there any code back to 1981 that someone could use to cut a new ignition key?
Second, it the same key used for ignition, gas cap and helmet lock.

Thanks in advance.

the short answer is yes . There is a thread somewhere on here about keys and there are tables of the different key codes for different model years but I haven't been able to find it using the search facility.
I believe it was posted by 5twins or 2many . What you need is someone with the same year and model as yours and get them to post a picture of their ignition key . From that it will be possible to identify what key type yours should be. The actual key code should be stamped on your locks .

My 81 SH has 1 key for Ignition and Helmet Lock and a shorter key for the Gas Cap. Check yours and you may see the gas cap cannot take an ignition length key.

Two keys for US Version XS650SH:
Keys.jpg
Left Key: Ignition/Seat/Helmet Lock - Number B444XX
Right Key: Petrol Tank - Number 12XX
X = Numeric

I hope this helps.

Note: Double Click on image to enlarge.

The keys are identical when rotated. This means they can be put in the lock either way and still work.

Ignition Key: Yamaha Motorcycle B32010 - B79897 SERIES
IGNKey.jpg

The blanks for my keys are available at the local key cutting shop.

excellent Paul!
I think he might need the reverse side of the keys for complete ID of the keys
It might prove cheaper and easier for boog to simply buy a used or new lock and key set
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Yamaha-XS650-fuel-tank-cap-1976-1981-XS650S-Special-1978-1983-locking/302795727788?hash=item46800823ac:g:AtkAAOSwh8NbPm2j&_sacat=0&_nkw=xs650+lock+&_from=R40&rt=nc&_trksid=m570.l1313
Silly question Paul, but how do I remove the locked gas cap from the tank to replace it with the ebay type?

Prior to 1980, the keys and locks had a 4 number code and it was usually stamped both on the key and on the lock face. If nothing was changed, all the locks usually matched .....

keTx72A.jpg

Around 1981, the codes changed and were removed from the lock faces. Security was obviously and probably one reason, but also, the new combination letter-number codes were quite a bit longer and wouldn't easily fit on the lock face anymore. A sticker was placed on the bottom of the ignition switch .....

edwSjrp.jpg

Hopefully, yours isn't rubbed off like the one on the right above. Later models actually stamped the code into the metal. There were still up to 6 different blanks used. You need to at least find the letter of your code to be able to get the right blank .....

M80-031KeyInfo.jpg

Paul, your 12XX tank key is a replacement factory blank. I can see from your pic that the cut on it doesn't match your ignition key. One of them was changed, most likely the gas cap one. My stock '83 has original (long) keys and they fit all the locks.

Last edited:
As far as popping open a locked gas cap without a key goes, it's pretty easy using a small flat pry bar. The lock, when turned, moves a sliding plate that pushes the spring-loaded latch open. With the pry bar, you bypass the lock and plate part, and just push the latch open. It will release easier if you push down on the cap slightly .....

JJ9s2CK.jpg

InBk2se.jpg

NtoCI4b.jpg

Some more key blank info for you - Yamaha still sells blanks but they are quite expensive at about $10 each. Aftermarket blanks are much cheaper and can be had for as little as a dollar or two apiece on eBay. Here's some cross-reference numbers .....

VQvfXxv.jpg

Above, you can see the different profiles, consisting mostly of different grooving (or lack of) down the sides. Although there are 6 styles, they are actually 3 mirror imaged pairs.

5twins, I get what you mean about my tank key. In all my searching I could not find that 12XX number matching anything in the 80s. It must have been replaced. I like it because it reminds me of my RD250B key. The ignition key is the original because it still matches the seat/helmet lock.

What a cool idea Pamcopete!!! Why didn't I think of that. I hated having to carry two keys on my RD250B. That extra key scratched my ignition to bits. Now I ride with the tank key in my pocket and only a light lanyard attached to the ignition key.

The Yamaha key blanks are numbered 1211 through 1230. 1225 through 1230 are the longer blanks for the later letter code locks. 1224 and lower are the shorter key blanks for the older locks. When Yamaha designed the ignition switch for the Special with the fork lock built into it, the lock cylinder was longer, or deeper, hence the need for a longer key .....

7Jbx4WQ.jpg

If you have a key whose number starts with 12, it was a blank and cut. An original that came with the bike would have the lock number stamped on it.

My ignition has no numbers on top as stated above and in looking underneath appear to have none either.
The gas cap does though.
I just realized that the helmet lock is also the seat release.
Now to find a small pry bar to open that gas cap...
20180810_143329.jpg
20180810_142020.jpg
20180810_141840.jpg

Back