Identifying your spare key blanks

Okay. Success on opening ththe locked gas cap without a key. I use a flathead screwdriver and proof, easy as pie. Thanks for that tip @5twins.
Inside, I don't see rust so I'm happy about that, but it does look like some varnish sludge down deep.
20180810_145813.jpg
20180810_145828.jpg
20180810_145841.jpg

You may not really need a key for the gas tank.I am fortunate to be able to park my '81 in the garage every night so I eliminated the key for the gas cap by removing the innards of the lock and installing a tab to operate the catch.
tab2.JPGtab3.JPG tab4.JPG tab5.JPG

Dude, I think you need glasses, lol. There's a number on your ignition lock face, it's just not real easy to see. 3289 maybe? But that doesn't match the 3181 on your tank lock. Here's a list of lock/key numbers and the blanks they take. Your 3181 tank lock would use a 1213 blank. Your 32XX ignition would use a different blank. Is there a number on the seat lock, and if so does it match either of the other two? .....

rvaxJhS.jpg

As far as popping open a locked gas cap without a key goes, it's pretty easy using a small flat pry bar. The lock, when turned, moves a sliding plate that pushes the spring-loaded latch open. With the pry bar, you bypass the lock and plate part, and just push the latch open. It will release easier if you push down on the cap slightly .....

JJ9s2CK.jpg

Thanks for that tip. I was able to use the flat end of a plastic teaspoon to avoid the risk of damaging the paint. Cheers. Off to the locksmith now.

InBk2se.jpg

NtoCI4b.jpg

Back