Idle seems to be stuck

MikeC23

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Yesterday I was rolling down the road when the RPMs on my bike started to climb a little higher than usual. At stop signs and such, when I had the clutch in, they went up to and stayed around 5000 RPMs. After a bit of investigation, I discovered that the little lever that the throttle cable connects to on the carb was not returning all the way against the set screw. I could reach down and manually push it against the screw, but it would not stay there on its own. I haven't had the carbs off of the bike since I built it and it was running perfectly up until this point. Any ideas what I can do or what I can check?

Sounds like maybe your throttle isn't returning all the way. Either the throttle tube is hanging up or the speedo cable is hanging up.

The odd thing is that there is slack in the cable at the bottom. So I can tell that the cable isn't stuck. Hopefully, that tidbit of info helps a little.

Then I would say the throttle tube isn't snapping back like it should. Is the speedo cable well lubricated?

yeah. I also tried pushing the throttle forward but it is snapping back the entire way like ti should. It is definitely something with that little lever that the cable clips to on the carb. That isn't returning the entire way.

view

Here is a pic of what I'm talking about. Not my carbs in the pic. I found it online for the sake of example.

It's tough to say exactly what it is, that's what opens and closes the butterfly's and sets idle. My best guess would be to detach the cable, remove the carbs and see if you can spot what is causing the issue.

Back