If I disappear for a bit, not to worry...

A little update:

1) The error message I was getting was "rear fan failure". There are three fans in the box: One on the front pulling air in, one about half an inch away pulling air through the power supply and one on the CPU heatsink. The one on the CPU is the only fan in the "rear" of the box so I assumed (silly me...) that was the problem. It wasn't. Fortunately the fan that WAS noisy (the one in the front of the case...???) was the same type and with a little creative rerouting of the power lead, I was able to use the one I bought for the CPU. All quiet on the Doweast Front.

2) As much as it pains me to admit it, I'm starting to like Win10. Well, not the OS so much as the software it allows me to run. I'm dipping my tootsies into Fusion360 as my 3D CAD platform (oy! what a learning curve!) and I was able to upgrade the slicer for my 3D printer to the latest version of CURA. I just printed an object that would have taken a good deal of internal support structures and probably 2 or 3 prints to get a good copy with the old version. Perfect first try with the new version AND there's no honeycomb of supports to carve out. When it started printing with no supports I thought "Rutro, Rastro, this ain't gonna end well!"

Windows 10.... Reminds me, I need to get a bigger hard disk so I can dual boot into Linux again.

Attachments

• overflow-28.jpg
    overflow-28.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 94
Well it's probably a few days off but I thinking about doing some `puter up grades myself. I'm thinking of upgrading to a SSD to replace the one in this old computer that is something like 13 years old. People have been telling me that a spinning disk hard drive that is over 5 years old is too old to trust and could be the reason I'm having some strange problems with Windows 10.

Windows 10 is enough explanation for having problems with Windows 10.
But the Solid State Drive is a great upgrade for an old computer, it's almost mandatory.
Well guess it was a good time to do the upgrade as for some reason while swapping from one to the other drive so I could save as much as possible off the old drive it came up with a disc failure message and will not boot from it any more. Right now I have many things back but I know I lost some of the web addresses I seldom used.

Biggest remaining problem is getting my email program back, "Thunderbird" I think I saved my "profile" files but for some reason when trying to get Thunderbird to logon to my provider it keeps telling the information I put in is wrong.

As for the SSD it does seem much faster, takes maybe 30 seconds or less to boot from full off to my Desktop and some of that is because I have to enter a pin number. Before with the 14 year old snail drive you could time the booting up with a sundial!

Back