If only she would say yes

Do it.
Life is short.
Actually “she” may shorten your life abruptly if you did buy that rare beast.

Pay attention now Angus, it's a flat track bike, shift and brake on the right side. tim

The cylinders appear different. The cam chain adjuster looks like the big fin design. Hard to see in the picture.

Good eye, scabber. The cylinder fins are indeed larger.

Here's closeups of the OW-72 and a '79 XS (from 650skull's album).

KR-1976-OW72-Engine.jpg

650F.jpg

Hey RD you go man! Do report on the final $$. With a national venue, rarity and the pedigree I'm guessing $50K but that may be low when you consider "parts horse build" knuckleheads are getting up into the 30K range. There will be some big bux museums and collectors bidding this one.

I wonder if "period correct" and "in as raced condition" are weasel words to get past the fact that it may be a clone and maybe only the gas tank or a foot peg was ever touched by the fabled racers?

Craig Hanson of Hanson racing who use to flow 3Ms cylinder heads duplicated the OW head for a flow comparison against a XS and the OW did not out flow the ported XS,in fact he said the ported E/P out flowed the OW,not quite sure about the intake side as this conversation to place many,many years ago. You got to remember the limiting factor on this engine is it's cases cracking when pushed beyond it's capabilities of 75 plus HP.

Jack, I thought the reason for the ow head was to be able to have a blank sheet to build from which was not possible with the oem xs head. For things like valve guides,angles, etc? I read about the weak cases. I would tthink for Roberts bikes they had plenty of cases ready to be used, and probably replaced them often?

ggggary said:
Hey RD you go man! Do report on the final $$. With a national venue, rarity and the pedigree I'm guessing $50K but that may be low when you consider "parts horse build" knuckleheads are getting up into the 30K range. There will be some big bux museums and collectors bidding this one.

Believe me I won't be buying this one. I would like to buy a pristine Z1. For that I would sell the Roadglide. Really debating that scenario,

Jack, I thought the reason for the ow head was to be able to have a blank sheet to build from which was not possible with the oem xs head. For things like valve guides,angles, etc? I read about the weak cases. I would tthink for Roberts bikes they had plenty of cases ready to be used, and probably replaced them often?

Cases starting cracking when megacycle developed the 250-40 cam. Yamaha tried every trick in the book with the XS to compete with the 100 hp Harleys and in the end it just wasn't enough. The inherited problem with the XS head is the OHC design limiting a more down draft effect in reshaping the erupt shortside radius turn and it's apparent in their attempts of the pictures posted above.

There was one at the show. You weren't supposed to touch or sit on it but nobody was watching so...
Oh man! Light, narrow. I wouldn't want to line up next to one unless I had one too

pity they couldn't afford to pay a professional photographer to take some quality pictures of such an iconic bike .:doh:

Those images are rubbish.

Wouldn't hurt for a literate person to insert a few paragraphs and add some puctuation to the description either.
Totally amateur effort.

Back