ignition cam

aray989

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
Good evening ,

I am looking for a new project to challenge myself. I have decided to buy a motor and rebuild. I have the manual on the way. However in the meantime the motor i am looking at in my area the seller stated is missing a ignition cam and carbs. trying to do some research im a little confused. can anyone point me in the right direction for the replacement part for the ignition cam . Mainly to see if its worth this for the price or keep my search going.

Thanks in advance

The only "ignition" cam I'm aware of would be the little points cam on the end of the advance rod on the points models. What year is this motor? I ask because in 1980, when they eliminated the points and changed to an electronic ignition, they also did away with the advance unit, advance rod, and that little points cam. So, if it's an '80 or later motor, nothing is missing because it was never there to begin with.

The only "ignition" cam I'm aware of would be the little points cam on the end of the advance rod on the points models. What year is this motor? I ask because in 1980, when they eliminated the points and changed to an electronic ignition, they also did away with the advance unit, advance rod, and that little points cam. So, if it's an '80 or later motor, nothing is missing because it was never there to begin with.

That points cam is pretty readily available, either as a new reproduction or a good used original. The advance rod and the advance unit are also pretty easy to get if you needed them, but the advance unit may be a bit spendy.

Just keep in mind that an early "256" motor like that will cost more (for parts) to fix up than a '74 or later "447" motor. What did you plan to do with it?

That points cam is pretty readily available, either as a new reproduction or a good used original. The advance rod and the advance unit are also pretty easy to get if you needed them, but the advance unit may be a bit spendy.
I realized i never uploaded the pic of the motor. I really appreciate the help and advice.

Attachments

• MOTOR.jpg
    MOTOR.jpg
    187.1 KB · Views: 28
Well, from that pic, it appears it's missing the actual camshaft. That won't be as easy to replace, lol. 256 motors used a cam chain with a different pitch and different sized sprockets so a more readily available 447 cam wouldn't work unless you swapped on a 256 sprocket. I don't know, unless that motor is dirt cheap, I think I'd pass on it and watch for another. I'd also try to find a latter 447 type instead.

When looking for parts, the first port of call is obviously the web, just enter a search string and pretty well anything you are searching for will come up. There are also dozens of XS650 parts suppliers, pretty well anything you want, they will have. The same applies for any poplular classic and even
non popular clasics. All one has to do is search. The search string is simple 'points cam'. Same applies for the cam, camshaft, rockers, anything you care to name. Just factor in the year and model, ie 256, 447. 553, XS1, 1971, 1978 And so on. The model number is stamped on the front of the crankcase.

Last edited:
When looking for parts, the first port of call is obviously the web, just enter a search string and pretty well anything you are searching for will come up. There are also dozens of XS650 parts suppliers, pretty well anything you want, they will have. The same applies for any poplular classic and even
non popular clasics. All one has to do is search. The search string is simple 'points cam'. Same applies for the cam, camshaft, rockers, anything you care to name. Just factor in the year and model, ie 256, 447. 553, XS1, 1971, 1978 And so on. The model number is stamped on the front of the crankcase.
thank you !

Back