Ignition component lube

wannabridin

XS650 Guru
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Some quick questions: what's the best product and procedures for lubing the points felts and advance assembly?

I'm going to clean it up as much as I can, but want to ensure it's in good shape.

Also, the points cam lobe is pretty rusty: should I just clean and polish it up or replace it?

Thanks!!!

it's not super critical since you can adjust the points to match long as it ends up shiny and you can time within the slots should be OK? per sure the manual calls out a small amount of light motor oil. Felts;usually use mineral spirits squeeze with rag, repeat till clean and soft then dry and lightly oil.

I've acquired a few used points cams, and found wear/score lines, including one that appears to be worn in a taper shape. When assembling yours, check that the points' fibre followers make full contact on the cam surface, not a "tilted" contact.

The oldschool cam lubes were kinda like a grease. I just use chain lube on the points cam and advancer...

One problem would be a replacement, anything aftermarket would need to be checked for correct shape, there were issues with a certain suppliers "double hump" points cams RE the timing between the two humps. I think those are NLA.

I've acquired a few used points cams, and found wear/score lines, including one that appears to be worn in a taper shape. When assembling yours, check that the points' fibre followers make full contact on the cam surface, not a "tilted" contact.

The oldschool cam lubes were kinda like a grease. I just use chain lube on the points cam and advancer...
Lubriplate white grease is what my grandfather taught me to use, and that a little goes a loong way!! A small pill bottle would last most of us a lifetime....

I just picked up some of that actually, from my local O'Reilly!! It's Lubriplate SL-2

If anyone wants some, let me know and I'll send you some small bags of it?

Back