Ignition is shot. Upgrades?

Here is a link to a Pamco, Installation, wiring diagrams, trouble shooting and warnings thread http://www.xs650.com/threads/pamco-ignition.46859/ There is a large section relating to setups that incorporate a PMA. This thread covers all aspects of a Pamco, links to Pamcopete's site and has a graph for the different Pamcos and what models they are suited to with Mikes parts no's to each kit. Make sure to read the whole thread to get an understanding of the product and problems associated with installations, especially when coupled with a PMA.

I made up this thread with extracts from as many Pamco threads and used Pete's own answers to any problems and his instructions and tip bits from here and there. the threads i got all this information from are linked at the bottom, meaning i have no investment of any kind, only to say that this thread is designed to help

even if he replaces the ignition and carbs complete... he still has to set them up properly New carbs needs to be set up for the bike
they are not bolt on and forget it items..... so he will have to fix it himself..... even IF he buys all new stuff.....so he hasn't gained anything but spent allot of money...... he is going to have to work on it, or pay someone to do it for him..... and if that's the case why not fix the old bike in the first place ?
Bob........

they were further up..... but I doubt it matters now as he probably got discusted and left !
Bob........

OP describes "Idles for a little then dies." But we don't know if it's just a loose wire, bad coil, dirty carbs, etc, etc. Could be anything, maybe carbs should be in the conversation.

Hence the very good advice often given on these pages: make what you have work before throwing time and money at it. And in the meantime, learn how the old bike works. Y'all have proven anyone with just a little, and I mean very little, bit of technical understanding can do it. THAT'S the beauty of these old bikes.

Bob's spot on. All those new parts need someone who knows or is willing to learn how to get the bugs out and tune it.

But, what do I know? I'm just a rookie around here.

45 Posts...........op has posted 4 times....next to no interactions.................States he doesn't want to fix the charging or ignition system and is asking for up-gradable choices.........Fair enough, there may be other factors that are adding to the initial problem and at the risk of upsetting some, the endless chatter and hijacking of the thread makes it difficult to help and follow the point of the thread

45 Posts...........op has posted 4 times....next to no interactions.................States he doesn't want to fix the charging or ignition system and is asking for up-gradable choices.........Fair enough, there may be other factors that are adding to the initial problem and at the risk of upsetting some, the endless chatter and hijacking of the thread makes it difficult to help and follow the point of the thread
Fair point, I should inform all of you I've PM'd OP, given my cell # and we've been texting. I've given him appropriate info.

There we go...........See all has been fixed...........Appropriate information given...................What the ......does that mean........lol.............

Like a blunt pencil..........I guess we can all breath a sigh of relief now...........Whenever a thread goes off script we can rely on you to sort it out the op's problems off line..........lol............mmmm.............just hope your right

Last edited:
Here is a link to a Pamco, Installation, wiring diagrams, trouble shooting and warnings thread http://www.xs650.com/threads/pamco-ignition.46859/ There is a large section relating to setups that incorporate a PMA. This thread covers all aspects of a Pamco, links to Pamcopete's site and has a graph for the different Pamcos and what models they are suited to with Mikes parts no's to each kit. Make sure to read the whole thread to get an understanding of the product and problems associated with installations, especially when coupled with a PMA.

I made up this thread with extracts from as many Pamco threads and used Pete's own answers to any problems and his instructions and tip bits from here and there. the threads i got all this information from are linked at the bottom, meaning i have no investment of any kind, only to say that this thread is designed to help
I want to thank you again for this excellent source for all things PAMCO.
PamcoPete

Skull , in figure 8's defence, he did the right thing. Even if 8's info doesnt fix issue, its still better than trying to slog threw a hijacked and derailed thread with info from 20 guys that only know their particular bike.
Skull, maybe offer your services offline? Hmmmmmmm?

Skull , in figure 8's defence, he did the right thing. Even if 8's info doesnt fix issue, its still better than trying to slog threw a hijacked and derailed thread with info from 20 guys that only know their particular bike.
Skull, maybe offer your services offline? Hmmmmmmm?
Appreciate it Angus, and like you said I did what I did to help since this thread was going off the rails. We've talked and he's intent on swapping out his parts. I told about him about and provided him with links to a Pamco and Hugh's PMA, Hugh's cdi system and Gary Hoos Power dynamo system. My post was meant to imply he has provided with info he was seeking and now he can decide what he wants to do.

FWIW............I have multitude PM's from people asking me questions. I usually give any help i can and when they repeatedly pm me i will ask them to make, or go back to the thread because any questions and information given may be of some help to others..............

Yea this thread was being hijacked, and used as a family gathering by a few...........wouldn't it be better to inform and bring it to the attention of those few, (as i done ), so they understand and maybe will think before doing it again..........But then I'm a bit dull so it would spoil the party

I want to thank you again for this excellent source for all things PAMCO.
PamcoPete

Thanks Pete,

I'm sure there is some tips missing. I usually post a link and not such a description of the linked thread, due to the nature of this thread i thought it would give the OP more of a reason to actually read the link. Answered a lot of his questions................

Thread is coaxing a question?. Stock electrical 78e. Is Brush length really that critical ? Outer brush measures shorter, is that expected ? 11,000 original mile components. Thx, -RT View attachment 98577

Hi TM,
there's a recommended minimum brush length (could be 3/8", I'm not sure)
but consider that the shorter the brush gets the less spring pressure there is to keep it firmly contacting the rotor slip ring
so it's always good to install new ones.
And of course the outer brush wears quicker. It's got twice as far to travel, eh?

they were further up..... but I doubt it matters now as he probably got discusted and left !
Bob........
Yo the carbs are not an issue. I have a set of 38s and 34s both tuned on another 650 by somebody who knows there shit. Both carbs yeild the same result on my bike while working just fine on another. Yes i know using another bike isent the same as my bike but lets be real, its close enough. Im not discusted. Im learning. Quit bein a dick. This is my first build.

Back