ignition points or lact of

RS650

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I always wanted to build XS650 hard tail and pick up my Donna bike a week ago. It didn't run at first but after cleaning the carbs it's running great. In the process I went to clean the points and found nothing under the points cover or the cam cover. Even if it electronic ignition I would have expected to see something???? Does anyone know this could be? image.jpg

Since it runs, it must be the later model. I have the later model with the electronic CDI box with no points but it's 20 degrees outside right now so I can't go pull my cover to see what it looks like today. I do believe its not supposed to have anything there but don't hold me to it yet.

I know that the motors equipped with the CDI box have a pickup coil in the alternator area that tell the CDI box where in the revolution the motor is at so it knows when to send the signal for spark so they don't require anything near the cam.

Any motor from 80 and later had factory electronic ignition. So many motors from 80-83 have had pamco's put in them, now it is not a given.

Transistor controlled ignition, (TCI).

To help us help you it is a good thing to post what you have in your signature. Year/model/type, (chopper/original), that sort of thing.

Yup that's how TCI ignition cam covers should look inside, empty. The TCI gets it's ignition trigger from a magnet on the alternator rotor. You would have to change to a different ignition if you go to a PMA (non stock) alternator.

Back