Ignition switches interchangeable?

dougmuise

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've ditched my instrument cluster for mini gauges on my '77D. There's now no place to mount my stock ignition switch so I've sourced a steering crown & switch from an 80's model XS that has mounting bungs for a switch. Wiring looks different across the switch plugs however. My current switch has 5 wires into plug & newer one only 3. Is there a way to make these compatible? Picture attached. Thanking you in advance!

xs650-ignition-switch.png

Yes, you can make it work. The major difference between the two switches is the later one powers the tail light in the "On" as well as "Park" position. Your '77 switch only powers the tail light in the "Park" position. On both switches, red is power in from the battery and main fuse. On the later switch, brown is power out for most all the bike systems and blue is power out to the tail light & instrument lights. On your '77 switch, brown is power out again, to most of the bike systems, blue is the tail light/instrument lights again, and red/yellow is power to the headlight on-off switch. So, all you'll need to do is connect the R/Y to the brown coming out of your new switch, along with any other browns of course. All blues from your harness switch connection to the blue coming out of the switch.

If you want to do away with the "tail light always on" feature on the new switch, it's pretty simple. On the bottom of the contact plate inside the switch, you'll see a group of two connections and three connections. The red and blue wires at the two connection spot is the "Park" position. The red, blue, and brown wires at the three connection spot is the "On" position. Simply clip out the short blue "jumper" wire between the two and three connection spots. Now the tail light will only be powered by the switch in the "Park" position.

rem7yOC.jpg

Back