Ignition systems: Boyer Bransden vs Pamco

Highside

Lord of the Flies
Reaction score
I called up 650central today to order some parts and got an earfull of advice from Mike.

I told him I was planning on running a Pamco ignition and he said that the Boyer Bransden was a far superior piece.

Is he just being a snob or is there a major difference bwtween the two units??

Pamco all the way! Simple, affordable, and easy to setup. Plus, Pete is a pretty cool guy.

I have a Boyer, it really needs the juice to fire right. I will be hocking mine in favor for a Pamco Rephased unit soon.

I will say, the Boyer is dead simple to setup, time and maintain.

I've head the same thing from MMM. Like anything, you shouldn't take his word as the absolute truth. Asking around is best and form your own opinion.
I have a Pamco on one of my bikes and over points I love it. I believe that with the Boyer you have a lot of options with adjusting your timing on the advance curve because your not using the mechanical weights like the Pamco.

Posted via Mobile

I've head the same thing from MMM. Like anything, you shouldn't take his word as the absolute truth.

That goes for anything. I worked with some of the top crewchiefs in the NHRA, and they were occasionally wrong too.

Asking around is best and form your own opinion.

That's why I posted this, I wnat some second opinions.

I have a Pamco on one of my bikes and over points I love it. I believe that with the Boyer you have a lot of options with adjusting your timing on the advance curve because your not using the mechanical weights like the Pamco.

Posted via Mobile

thanks grepper :thumbsup:

Michael Morse knows his stuff when it comes to the xs. He may not know about the Pamco, and lots of people like it for sure. But the Boyer is an excellent and proven system and he's right about that. I have had good success with it. Its simple, with no moving parts. Its an electronic advance but, non-adjustable.

If I bought a bike with the Pamco, I would keep it, same with Boyer.

John

When I got my project it had no ignition what-so-ever. I had never run either system before but from the great info on this site and Petes' backing of his product I decided to go with the Pamco. The installation couldn't have been easier, 15 minutes and I had it all hooked up and firing with no battery just a capacitor. Will do it again in a heartbeat.

When I got my project it had no ignition what-so-ever. I had never run either system before but from the great info on this site and Petes' backing of his product I decided to go with the Pamco. The installation couldn't have been easier, 15 minutes and I had it all hooked up and firing with no battery just a capacitor. Will do it again in a heartbeat.

I take it that this is another vote for Pamco in a kickstart only set-up.

Anxious to see. I have a Boyer on one bike and have had no real problems. I just bought a Pamco kit but haven't installed yet to form an opinion. My bike was very hard to start with Boyer and Accel capacitor. I'm hoping the Pamco will change that as I am trying to run with either a very small battery or the capacitor.
jefft

Taking the mechanical advance out of the equation, would it be fair to say Pete's Pamco is for the "set it, forget it, and go cruise rider" vs the Boyer is more for the "Hi Performance minded rider"?

It was dead simple to install the Boyer on my bike but I had a heck of a time getting it to run. Turns out the battery I had wasn’t good enough. The Boyer needs a good solid battery and 12+ volts to start. Now that the bike is running I don’t have any complaints. Next time I’ll install the Pamco but that’s only because things always look better on the other side of the fence.

Back