Ignition/Tank Key Replacement

Brencarp

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hey guys! I acquired this 77 XS650 WITHOUT a key!! I am just wondering if I can get a replacement key off of the number on the tank/ignition key hole. I'd love to be able to get a key for this tank and not have to cut up latch system!!

Thanks,
Brenden

I took the lock out of my new cap and put the old lock in it so it would match the ignition. i doubt that answers your question though. haha. maybe locksmith? have him make a key then copy it..

Yes, a good locksmith can make a key from just the number that is stamped on the ignition or gas lock.

get the number and check ebay for yamaha key(s) think there is a guy on there that carries them or your local yammie dealer may help

Many Yamaha dealers can cut them from the numbers. I got one for mine several years ago, about $8 if I recall.

FYI it is easy to open the cap without a key. A small pick will push the spring loaded lever back and open it is.

My Yamaha dealer said Yamaha is so protective of their keys they will not cut one from the number and you have to supply proof of ownership etc etc. no help from them. In addition, my ignition switch and gas cap lock have no numbers on them. My proof of ownership is locked under the seat and I have a broken half key. The EBAY seller does not list the numbers on my key.

I'm about to see what happens when I go looking for a key to be cut for my bike tomorrow. I hope the locksmith will just smile, cut a key then stick his hand out for $$$ If memory serves from 11 years ago the lock/key number started with X followed by 3 or 4 numbers..........Memory is out to lunch.

My Yamaha dealer said Yamaha is so protective of their keys they will not cut one from the number and you have to supply proof of ownership etc etc. no help from them. In addition, my ignition switch and gas cap lock have no numbers on them.

I took the gas cap off my '81 XS, looked for lock/key numbers...none. The only marking is an "A" on the lock cylinder housing.
I called some locksmiths, they are not really locksmiths, they are mobile key cutters with slim jims. Apparently the only real locksmith is no longer in the area.
Tomorrow I contact the nearest Yam Aha dealer to see if they have a solution.
Bro-In-Law did not bring back my title along with not the key either :(
He did not transfer the title to his name so maybe I'll just do a "lost title" "non-op" and at least be legal. Did not want to buy insurance until I get it back on the road which could be awhile.

My 77 has numbers on the switch and gas cap which matches the number on the key. It's right on top of the locks where you insert the key.

My 77 has numbers on the switch and gas cap which matches the number on the key. It's right on top of the locks where you insert the key.

Yeah, I thought mine did too but no. Must have been the numbers on the key I remembered (but not well enough).
After '77 sometime they stopped putting the numbers out in the open. Maybe well hidden on the ignition switch.
If I don't have any luck with Yam Aha or the locksmiths I may just buy new lock $et$ :(

My '78 still has the numbers on top of the locks. I think the numbers are still there on the later ones, just inside. Try taking the lock out of the gas cap. Maybe you can see the numbers then. If you can get a key blank that fits, you can cut your own using a Dremel.

Remove your ignition switch and take it to a locksmith. They can make a new key from that and don't need the numbers. You will have to find a real locksmith and not a place that just copies keys, though. Many older hardware stores (not Home Depot, Lowes, etc.) can do this. I've done this with several different bike switches, including one from an FZR600 that had been mangled with a screwdriver. Also had to get get keys made for the ignition switch and tool boxes from a Moto Guzzi Eldorado, I just took the switch and one of the toolboxes to the locksmith. Cost is usually $15-25, which is cheaper than a new switch, and you still have the same key for the gas cap & seat lock.

Remove your ignition switch and take it to a locksmith. They can make a new key from that and don't need the numbers. You will have to find a real locksmith and not a place that just copies keys, though. Many older hardware stores (not Home Depot, Lowes, etc.) can do this. I've done this with several different bike switches, including one from an FZR600 that had been mangled with a screwdriver. Also had to get get keys made for the ignition switch and tool boxes from a Moto Guzzi Eldorado, I just took the switch and one of the toolboxes to the locksmith. Cost is usually $15-25, which is cheaper than a new switch, and you still have the same key for the gas cap & seat lock.

B4 you say it, Yes, I should have taken all 3 locks with me the 1st time.
I took the gas cap off the bike, took it to a REAL locksmith. They worked on making the new key twice, finally got it to unlock the cap. Brought it home, tried it again on helmet and ignition locks...not even close. They said the keys may not work "'cause the locks are worn out". Yeah, right. I am almost positive they re-keyed the lock so no way that key will work on the other locks. 40 mile round trip (3rd time) Monday 8/5 to try to get a key that will unlock everything.
:cussing:

Locks get changed over the years so there is no guarantee all of them match. I ave several tanks, 74, 77, 79Standard, 79and 80Specials and they all have numbers on top of the locks. Have a mikes tank that doesn't have the number.

LPrince,

With the sawzall crews on this site someone must have a complete set laying around in there junk box.

Mine was missing the ignition switch. To keep from tracking down a matching ignition switch i removed the tumblers from the gas cap. Now I can use any key that will fit.

It's a simple task,
1) push in the locking tab from the under side of the gas cap and lift up.
2) look at the bottom of the lock you'll see what looks like a c-clip but its actually the bottom tumbler .
3) Use a oil seal pick or needle to slide over the tumbler and the lock assy will push out from the bottom.
4) remove all the tumbler but the bottom one. (Reason being the bottom one holds the lock assy in the cap)
5) reassemble lock without top tumbler remember to leave ONLY the bottom one.

Now you can use any key or pocket knife that will fit the key hole.

Something to keep in mind - the ignition is usually made more secure by including an extra "tumbler" or two in the lock. That means if you take a seat or gas cap lock to the locksmith, the resulting key most likely won't operate the ignition switch. It will be missing one or two needed notches.

LPrince,

With the sawzall crews on this site someone must have a complete set laying around in their junk box.

LOL!! I'm sure you're right about that Brian, a toggle switch duct taped to the frame and touching 2 wires together, won't that take the place of an ignition switch ? :laugh:

I've actually owned this bike for many years, gave it to Bro-In-Law and it just sat in his back yard for 11 years, it went no where. He may be p.o.ed at me for saving it from his neglect, therefore he did not return the key... just a guess.

Back to the locksmith Monday. No problem :wink2:

Back