Ignition timing and vacuum advance?

Hi Howard,

I actually started programming the Arduino board to test my concept but ran out of interest after buying a new bike. Also, my great idea of a firmware needed two 16bit timers to be easy to implement and the AVR on the Arduino board only had one 16bit and one 8 bit timer. I used the Arduino board to build a fuel / engine temp / rpm / outside temp / battety voltage monitor for the Transalp 650 instead.

However, the load based timing would be an interesting addon. If someone has the Ignitech box then adding a MAP sensor from a random car/motorcycle would be an interesting experiment. Maybe later...

pekka

Interesting. Been cogitating the same thing for quite some time. Long ago, spent a lot of time fine-tuning the "timed port" driven vacuum advance on my Holley carb. Was able to get 32 mpg on my 327 sbc Vega.

Was thinking of making a kind of throttle position linkage that would do this in reverse, retard the ignition timing gradually once past about 1/3 throttle. It's still in "brain mush" mode...
Wait a minute! You had a 327 in a Vega? Splain Lucy!

My wife had a 72 fastback, orange with the black stripe...

Amazing, I had the identical '73 model.
VegaBrochure.jpg

Back in the '60s, when Ford was designing their Pinto, and Chevy was designing their Vega, both original designs called for V8 engines. But, the emerging CAFE and EPA stuff put the kabotz on that, and they reverted to I4 engines. That's why it was relatively easy to shoehorn V8 engines into those. Trivia: The V8 powered Vega was slated to become the Z-29...

Amazing, I had the identical '73 model.
View attachment 153651

Back in the '60s, when Ford was designing their Pinto, and Chevy was designing their Vega, both original designs called for V8 engines. But, the emerging CAFE and EPA stuff put the kabotz on that, and they reverted to I4 engines. That's why it was relatively easy to shoehorn V8 engines into those. Trivia: The V8 powered Vega was slated to become the Z-29...

Yeah, that little cast iron l4 was put into a lot of Inboard-outboard boats. A solid little engine.

Back