Ignitions Which is more accurate?

Then stop making unfounded and false statements regarding me
Here is your attack on me ." I have no issue with your product or its reliability or even if you push the product.....But ......When you keep posting and re-posting after some one else posts an alternative you then seem to be seen as very desperate to make sure that it is your product that is kept in the forefront of the threads".
Who's making unfounded statement, "push the product", "Desperate" I take offence to that and like have all my life fight back.. I will take your word that you have nothing to do with pamco , It just seemed like it. Now that you say you are not I will not repeat the mistake.

Surely they're all accurate enough and there's nothing to be gained with more.

Those figures about sales remind me of how terrible I am at estimating markets. I would have never thought there was a market. To begin with, I would have thought anybody who could install it could deal with points and probably enjoy it.

Surely they're all accurate enough and there's nothing to be gained with more.

Those figures about sales remind me of how terrible I am at estimating markets. I would have never thought there was a market. To begin with, I would have thought anybody who could install it could deal with points and probably enjoy it.
I have to agree with you 100%, thanks

I like trigger wheels on the crank with a single point trigger on the cam. But that is a bit more advanced than the standard set up. Only reason I can do it is the efi conversion. Crank tells the ecu where the engine is, cam tells it which cylinder is #1 for sequential.

650skull,
I certainly appreciate your efforts to compile many of the PAMCO posts on this forum for the benefit of the members. You have included the good, the bad and the ugly, much as I have done by conducting a lot of my customer service right here in the open. If you have any specific questions about PAMCO products, I will gladly answer them and I apologize for not responding before.

Here's my experience with Boyer. Some users have reported issues with alignment of the Hall effect pickups, which amount to a pair of metal posts sticking inboard out of the timing plate. Jukka Tuokonen (sp?) did a fine series of posts on Boyer issues and how to correct them at XS650 Garage USA and (IIRC) at the old 650 Rider site.

for those interested in reading about this Boyer issue heres a linky to jusupov's posts
http://xs650temp.proboards.com/thread/13335/boyer-ignition-problem

No one asked me, so here's my 2 cents.
The availability of several complete working replacement ignition systems for our obsolete bikes is nothing short of amazing. Every one of these systems is the result of someone seeing a need and opportunity, and with no guarantee of success or return they took the chance, leapt in and designed, built, or modified a working ignition for the XS650. The systems available all will do the job (including the original points) They span a wide range of price points, features, availability. My congratulations to all those that have waded in and made and marketed working product.
Now to the current argument; is crank timing a superior system worth spending more for? For the average user? nah. For the racer fighting for every last fraction of a horse power on the ragged edge of detonation? Yeah it's hard to argue it's better. Well over 95% of users just grab the stock timing settings or ear time it till it runs OK and call it good. Those factory settings were engineered for a different world than we live in today, fuel, carburation, user profile are all considerably different now. If you go to the effort you can probably tweak them for the way you ride with better results. But how many do that with a reasonably refined metric of finding the "right" setting? I've put a couple miles on XS650's using; stock points, stock TCI, Pamco with and without e-advance, and even a Martec over a wide variety of riding styles from potsing to "too fast for the street" hammering. I think I can detect the deficiencies inherent in points ignition but find it perfectly acceptable for "street" riding when decently maintained. If I were going racing, funds weren't an issue, and I was pretty sure of supplier reliability, I would run a crank fire system. If the average US based Joe asks me what to use, I say Pamco and lay out the advance timing option plusses and minuses.
Try and keep this to the point. I think I see what Hoos is doing and think it's a bit borderline located in the garage compared to the vender section but the info serves the owners well enough for my sniff test. The various posters may be revealing much more about their attitude and business practices than they realize.
The real holy grail is a modern multi parameter, sensor based, computed advance curve, but we're riding antiques not F1 bikes.
A closing point. A blanket condemnation of a product because it has Chinese built components is simplistic and dated. Those same arguments were once used against (insert asian, several european, or north american countries here). They all have had varying degrees of quality over the years and they all continue to improve with the market weeding out the bad apple manufacturers.

Last edited:
No one asked me, so here's my 2 cents.
The availability of several complete working replacement ignition systems for our obsolete bikes is nothing short of amazing. Every one of these systems is the result of someone seeing a need and opportunity, and with no guarantee of success or return they took the chance, leapt in and designed, built, or modified a working ignition for the XS650. The systems available all will do the job (including the original points) They span a wide range of price points, features, availability. My congratulations to all those that have waded in and made and marketed working product.
Now to the current argument; is crank timing a superior system worth spending more for? For the average user? nah. For the racer fighting for every last fraction of a horse power on the ragged edge of detonation? Yeah it's hard to argue it's better. Well over 95% of users just grab the stock timing settings or ear time it till it runs OK and call it good. Those factory settings were engineered for a different world than we live in today, fuel, carburation, user profile are all considerably different now. If you go to the effort you can probably tweak them for the way you ride with better results. Bu how many do that with a reasonably refined metric of finding the "right" setting? I've put a couple miles on XS650's using; stock points, stock TCI, Pamco with and without e-advance, and even a Martec over a wide variety of riding styles from potsing to "too fast for the street" hammering. I think I can detect the deficiencies inherent in points ignition but find it perfectly acceptable for "street" riding when decently maintained. If I were going racing, funds weren't an issue, and I was pretty sure of supplier reliability, I would run a crank fire system. If the average US based Joe asks me what to use, I say Pamco and lay out the advance timing option plusses and minuses.
Try and keep this to the point. I think I see what Hoos is doing and think it's a bit borderline located in the garage compared to the vender section but the info serves the owners well enough for my sniff test. The various posters may be revealing much more about their attitude and business practices than they realize.
The real holy grail is a modern multi parameter, sensor based, computed advance curve, but we're riding antiques not F1 bikes.
A closing point. A blanket condemnation of a product because it has Chinese built components is simplistic and dated. Those same arguments were once used against (insert asian, several european, or north american countries here). They all have had varying degrees of quality over the years and they all continue to improve with the market weeding out the bad apple manufacturers.

Nailed it. Top post sir.

Last edited:
Back