I'm an idiot...

Downeaster

Everything in XS
Top Contributor
Reaction score
The DPO of the Zook butchered the wiring (and the more I look, the more I think it was in a fairly serious wreck at some point...) and I've been restoring things to get it street legal.

Buncha stuff came in today and I got the turn signals repaired/replaced and working. Fixed the wiring for the brake/tail light, fixed the wiring for the headlight (but ordered the wrong headlight, dammit...) Testing things out, noticed the tail light wasn't working. Hmmmmm.

No tail, no brake. Checked voltages at the socket, all good. Oh...wait...maybe I got the little disk that holds the contacts back in the socket body back-asswards after soldering new wires on them. Flipped it around, put the bulb back in and PRESTO...light. Wait...the brakes don't seem to affect it. Hmmmm. And it's REALLY bright...maybe a shorted brake light switch? Checked the front one...nope operating as designed.

The genius that designed the location of the rear switch should get some kind of award. After fighting for most of an hour to get it out...hmmmmmm...operating as designed. WTF?

Took the tail light apart again, looked at it carefully. "That doesn't look right..." Flipped the disk back around, put the bulb back in and no tail light, but the brake light is working now.

Saaaaaayyyyy, you don't suppose....nah, I couldn't be THAT stoopid could I?

"Yeah, ya could, Boy Genius. In fact, this puts you in the running for Moron of the Month!"

Original problem was a blown tail light filament in the bulb...

Dear, I’m an Idiot,
You know we have a club don’t you? I’ll send you a membership card. :D

We’ve all had those kind of days. Like the day I put my clutch all back together and then saw this lying on the bench. Sigh..........
61955BC0-4158-4F61-81E3-96836ABC23C5.jpeg

Dear, I’m an Idiot,
You know we have a club don’t you? I’ll send you a membership card. :D

We’ve all had those kind of days. Like the day I put my clutch all back together and then saw this lying on the bench. Sigh..........
View attachment 138810

Well....at least your clutch pull would nice and light Mailman...;)

"Like the day I put my clutch all back together and then saw this lying on the bench. Sigh.........." OMG, so I'm not the only one? I didn't have the balls to admit it. Did the EXACT same thing. Guess I'll have to start swallowing some pride, man-up, and air all my dirty laundry from now on, LOL.

"Like the day I put my clutch all back together and then saw this lying on the bench. Sigh.........." OMG, so I'm not the only one? I didn't have the balls to admit it. Did the EXACT same thing. Guess I'll have to start swallowing some pride, man-up, and air all my dirty laundry from now on, LOL.

Haha! If you’ve read my two build threads, you’d know, I’m not proud. I put it all out there. I like to think I’m doing a public service! :D

Nothing to do with 650's but one of my worst screw-ups was back in high school math class of some kind.

Teacher would have us get up to the blackboard, anyone still use them?, and give each of us a different problem to workout showing all work.
Forget the problem I was working on but when I was done and it came out nice and clear, no fractions or decimals!
Teacher comes to my brilliant work and says "Nice work Ken,BUT! Last I knew there were only 24 hours in a day NOT 25!"
I guess that's why I had trouble getting homework done I kept putting it off to the 25th hour!

I think we all need one of those cards. because everyone has one of those days. I like it when I'm looking for the key that is in my hand. doh!

Hey Carbon! Good to see you again! I’m happy to see you’re still poking your head in here! Your video series are legend! You’ve helped countless guys. :thumbsup:

When using a jigsaw, pay attention to where the power cord is. In my dad's case, when using a Sawzall, pay attention to where your thigh is. He did this on a kitchen install job over the border, in Canada, without insurance.

Scott

Some people should never be allowed near a power tool..........That being said i have cut the power cord when using my circular saw at least 3 times.........Always have used an industrial Power junction box with a cut out switch

Back