I'm looking for some insite into the Pamco system.

haggerty

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys, hopefully someone can give me some insite. I have an 81 xs650 and I've tested everything electrically and all of your wiring diagrams have helped me greatly, but I still have no spark to my plugs. So I dug deeper into the forum and I find myself sitting here trying to test my ignition pickup. When I test across the leads I get no readings what so ever, even with the key on. I've looked for replacements to no avail. I was thinking about getting the pamco system if I do not need the ignition pickup, it's in rough shape as it is, the wires were hacked off under the stator cover when I bought it.

So, does the pamco system need the ignition pickup to work or does it just replace the tci gnition and still use the pickup? I've emailed mikesxs and pamco Pete but they haven't responded. Thanks!

The PAMCO completely replaces the TCI. No pickup at the stator involved. Overall, the PAMCO is very simple, very easy to install, with no external "black box" (all electronics contained neatly under the points cover), with an utter minimum of wires.

Can't speak to your TCI ignition problems though... I've never had one to screw around with.

Hey guys, hopefully someone can give me some insite. I have an 81 xs650 and I've tested everything electrically and all of your wiring diagrams have helped me greatly, but I still have no spark to my plugs. So I dug deeper into the forum and I find myself sitting here trying to test my ignition pickup. When I test across the leads I get no readings what so ever, even with the key on. I've looked for replacements to no avail. I was thinking about getting the pamco system if I do not need the ignition pickup, it's in rough shape as it is, the wires were hacked off under the stator cover when I bought it.

So, does the pamco system need the ignition pickup to work or does it just replace the tci gnition and still use the pickup? I've emailed mikesxs and pamco Pete but they haven't responded. Thanks!

The PAMCO system doesn't use any of the ignition components from a non-points ignition XS and has no crankshaft/flywheel related parts.

It spins its own magnet on the camshaft and triggers the spark (breaks the ground to the coil) by "hall affect." It uses the ATU hardware from the points bikes.

Thanks guys..

My tci box works fine, i rang out all my diodes and checked over my transistors, then i went to check the resistance across the wires on my brown/gray/black from my ignition pickup, and i got nothing. kind of unfortunate, i heard the tci box's were pretty good when they still work. so needless to say, ill have a tci box for sale after i install my pamco system.

Many install Pamcos on their TCI bikes. Maybe you could get a pick-up from one of them. Put an ad in the classified section.

To run a Pamco you need the advancer rod and weight's from a points bike, that is not part of the TCI. Someone correct this if I'm wrong.
I am very green when it comes to bikes but looking to install a Pamco. I have a 79 so I would be able to use this kit correct? http://www.mikesxs.net/product/14-0905.html
vs someone with a later model requiring this kit? http://www.mikesxs.net/product/14-0907.html . Also it looks that these kits do not come with the rotor. Is that purchased separately?

Yes, that is the Hall Affect unit. It is part (and the hear of) all the kits. I have one of the "old" Pamco ignitions (pre -E advance). While I have no experience with the new ones I notice that there are kits with and without the rod so I assume that the e-advance uses the stock advancer rod.

machstang,

The rotor is sold seperately by MikesXS for those that have one of the older PAMCO's with a 90 degree rotor. The kits you highlighted all come with the 60 degree rotor, which is the standard rotor for all PAMCO kits.

You have a '79, so you already have the advance rod and bushings, so the kit you chose will work just fine. It comes complete with the rotor for the left side and an aluminum cap that replaces the mechanical advancer on the right side. The picture still shows the original copper cap.

Back