I'm missing something

Mackels

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Aside from mechanical inclination: So, I was going lube the advance rod got my covers off left and right side. Removed the weights and the 6mm nut and lock washer. Then I got stuck. I think I need to hammer the slotted piece that holds the male ends of the weights. Labyrinth nut I believe IMG_2380.jpg but I prefer to be 100% before I hammer anything I am unsure about. Picture is from before I removed anything.
Once that is off, my understanding is I can pull it out from the points side...which leads me to my next question..I should have another lubricator here correct? IMG_2381.jpgthe bike is a 77D with some various special parts. Between the Haynes and the Clymer, the pictures aren't awesome and I want to be sure.
Is there any detriment to not have the 2nd lubricator? Aside from more frequent lubrication?
I believe that I have the correct part number which is 256-81631-10-00 but I don't see anything other than the felt. Looks like the clip is missing too.

Last edited:
The slotted disc should slide off no hammering but it may be stuck. Before tapping on the nut make sure the points follower will clear the points cam. The points cam will have a ridge on the inside that hits the (what I am calling) follower. Separate the points with enough paper tp keep this from happening, back the nut off the right side to protect the threads and tap on it. It should slide out easily then.

Back