I'm thinking the single wall pipes are going to turn color, period?

thuban

Horse Scratcher
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
I'm running as close to stock as I can. I'm an "air box" man! I think these boxes had a Silencer which I don't have. Are you guys using something for a Silencer? I had to go with aftermarket pipes. (Mikes commando "type" system)
My pipes have a little yellowish band starting right at the header clamp. I think my mixtures are as good as it gets, everything set up by the book. Exhaust pulses feel equal. Running 40mph and close the throttle it winds down without popping and back on the throttle, it picks right back up, no problem. I don't think just the change to this exhaust system has hurt me. So being single walled pipes, I can probably expect my pipes to turn blue sooner or later, Yes?

Thanks
Thu

Yes, the single wall headpipes often do turn colors even with the proper jetting. The ones on my '78 blued up almost immediately. I've been pleasantly surprised that the ones I put on my '83 haven't turned colors yet. They are a different pipe, thicker than those on the '78, so maybe that has something to do with it.

Your '76-'77 carb set uses the smallest main ever put in a 650, a 122.5. It's fine for a stock bike but is often quickly out-paced if you do any mods. You might benefit from bumping them up one size to a 125. That might help ward off future pipe coloring or more coloring from happening. It might also improve performance. When the jetting is very close, like yours seems to be, about the only way you'll know if changing it will help is to try it.

Here is a trick I have been using for years with new pipes and about 75% success rate if the jets are close.
Tape off the first 6" of the outside of header pipe so you don't get paint on your new pipes and buy GOOD 2000 heat paint and spray the inside of the pipes. Roll
them around so you get paint on 12" or more of the inside of pipes from the front and let them dry. You may
laugh but I have done many chrome Harley pipes and no discolor.

Yeah, 5Twins, I got a pdf from some place, maybe on here, that had all the years, pilots jets, and stock carb specs. "Smallest jets ever..." I'll be damn! I never noticed that when I was comparing the chart to what was actually in my BS-38's. You Da' Man! My slide diaphragms felt a bit stiff and I thought I might have problems. Were no holes and slide drop test checked good. I need to do a dead engine coast down from speed and check the plugs for proper burn.

I don't want to take it out on the hi-way. I never got a ticket on my bikes. I no longer have a MC license. I lost it in a second in 89 when I retired from the mil and came back to Texas. I had an old expired license but mil, no problem. On the back of my old license it had a checked box "motorcycle also". (I had my MC license since I was 16).The new format License had nothing like that, It said no restrictions so... Anywho, a few years later, by buddy, a LEO, said "let me see your license" He said "It should have had a "M" by the "C". "They screwed you!" Who knew? So... I'm enrolled in a MC class, $275 bucks! Got to pay to play. I'll be the only old fart in a room of 6. I know they are gona ask. I'm gona have to think up something really impressive to BS them with. Suggestions? :laugh:

Here is a trick I have been using for years with new pipes and about 75% success rate if the jets are close.
Tape off the first 6" of the outside of header pipe so you don't get paint on your new pipes and buy GOOD 2000 heat paint and spray the inside of the pipes. Roll
them around so you get paint on 12" or more of the inside of pipes from the front and let them dry. You may
laugh but I have done many chrome Harley pipes and no discolor.

Oh, man... I wish I had said something sooner! I would have tried it! Those pipes were a bear to get on right and straight. Then I had to seal the pipe to muffler joint by taking up the extra space with a metal strapping shim and red high temp silicone. I'm gona try this! After some old fart dumped the bike in the trailer, I have to put on crash bars and the pipes will have to come off.
Thanks, Daddygcycles, I'll give it a try.

Thu

Your '76-'77 BS38 carb set is considered by many to be one of the best BS38 sets. Although the mains are small, the Z-8 midrange jets are the largest used on any 650 carb set. This gives nice midrange power and the small mains give good fuel mileage, usually a few MPG better than the other sets.

I treat and clean my carb diaphragms with a product called the Tannery. It's a spray-on foam leather, rubber, and plastic cleaner and preservative. I use this stuff on lots of things. It's great for your seat because it cleans and preserves the vinyl without making it slippery like Armor-all does. I clean all the wiring with it and, of course, all my leather jackets and boots. Also great for the dashboard in your car.

Daddygcycles,
I used 2K paint on the inside of my pipes. I have 100 miles on it now. Still breaking it in, 0 and up to 70 and so far no blue pipes! Timing is a bit retarded but every thing else is right on. :thumbsup:

A lot of it comes down to the wall thickness and the actual quality of construction and plating. Cheap chrome will yellow and blue no matter what you do. And these days good chrome is hard to find even when you pay for good chrome.

I'm seriously considering doing a set of my old pipes in industrial chrome. It will never shine as bright as regular chrome but it lasts a lot longer. The brackets that hold your footpegs on a stock XS are done in industrial chrome. Dull but tough.

Industrial chrome on heavy gauge steel? You might have a solution, Bill. Stainless steel will darken even on stock engines with properly maintained factory EFI systems, and pipes with heavy nickel plating have colored up just like any other single wall pipes.

Mine are a nice shade of gold for the first few inches. I have been complimented on the coloring which I thought was a little odd.
I'm OK with it. It's a rider not a trailer queen.

Mine are a nice shade of gold for the first few inches. I have been complimented on the coloring which I thought was a little odd.
I'm OK with it. It's a rider not a trailer queen.

I've got pretty much the same attitude. As long as it isn't about to rust through I'll ride it. I last painted my bike when I bought it 15 years ago. That's when it got it's current blue and yellow pipes too.

3E199331-2A25-4CB8-B623-E816B1A2FB43.jpeg

Years ago now when I did this “rescue mod” 78E I sourced these XS Special head pipes at a swap meet. (Yes, a swap meet was still a thing then) I chose those head pipes specifically because of the Blueing seen.
Of course when I posted pics there was a little discussion of my jetting.
I really like the Blueing look and would do it again in the future if by chance I saw more like this.
:cool:

Last edited:
Stainless steel goes a lovely honey brown.

Attachments

• 6A0E0277-B4AF-4331-9002-701FB772C95C.jpeg
    6A0E0277-B4AF-4331-9002-701FB772C95C.jpeg
    248.6 KB · Views: 274
  • EFB5E52A-DB47-40BA-8503-408938945E86.jpeg
    EFB5E52A-DB47-40BA-8503-408938945E86.jpeg
    236.2 KB · Views: 102
I've got three sets of headers that I've used across three different bikes from time to time, one set of single wall, a set of stock Standards and a set of stock Special's.
The single wall I got maybe third hand back in '07 and they're gray all the way down to the lower bend. Think Standard bends on this one. Maybe they're stainless, dunno.
The double walls will yellow while running and then when cooled down will show some yellowing out past the finned clamps.....'77 Standard's and '78 Special's......both sets the mufflers were cut off past the frame mounts and are run with the 27" Commandos, when run at all.

Maybe this boy needs to get a brand new set and see how it goes......

Yes, a "looks cool" fashion statement. We officially call it the "mummy's revenge" now, lol. I agree, ugly as sin, but I suppose it blends well with all the rest of the chop and hack "ugly" many are subjecting this poor bike to. Why can't they pick on Hondas or something, lol.

Back