I'm yielding up my title.

Finally got the basement shower installation completed.
Or so I thought.
On Centennial's advice I ran the control valve to bath spout in copper.
One of the soldered connections is leaking.
Damn it!

....don't you mean the %$###@!### crimper Fred?

Hi Pete,
by no means! Nice Pex tool. Have a biscuit.
The Pex crimper works great and even the Pex ring cutting tool works OK now that I learned how it operates.
Alas that my re-soldering in place attempt had a high a risk of lighting the house on fire so the pipe has to come
out of there to get fixed. And the copper ain't going back in. It's going back in Pex.

Hi Pete,
by no means! Nice Pex tool. Have a biscuit.
The Pex crimper works great and even the Pex ring cutting tool works OK now that I learned how it operates.
Alas that my re-soldering in place attempt had a high a risk of lighting the house on fire so the pipe has to come
out of there to get fixed. And the copper ain't going back in. It's going back in Pex.

Re-soldering the copper with the part removed finally fixed it so the basement shower is now fully operational.
I thought I was ahead of the game until the two minute power outage.
(Saskpower does them regularly so we dont forget how to re-set our clocks)
After which I went into the garage to renew the unpacking campaign.
To find that the garage door openers had quit. One of the garage features is that the roof trusses the openers
attach to are nine feet off the ground.
Sent my son up a ladder with a circuit tester to check the opener double power outlet.
Both sides of the outlet were powered OK.
The candy-assed one into two adapter that both openers plugged into was dead.
Removed the adapter, plugged both openers directly into the double outlet and everything works again.
But WTF WAS that thing and why did it quit. That puzzled me for about a week.
Until today when my wife was cleaning out the drawerfull of the previous owners keys and fobs.
Found this on-off pushbutton thing that sez NOMA on it; same as the 1 into 2 mystery module.
Plugged the module into a power bar, plugged the circuit tester into the dead module outlets
and pushed the ON button. And we have power!
Effin security switch. Who knew.

No end to your adventures in that new home Fred..........lol.

Fred - you prairie folks do lead a rich life!

Hi Pete,
If I was rich I'd live somewhere that had a shorter warmer winter, eh? But rich in experience, yes.
Even if I did lack the experience to know about the existence of remote operated power switches.
My next learning experience will be how best to support my wife's recovery & rehabilitation after her
double knee replacement surgery tomorrow. Wish me luck!

Indeed Fred and best wishes and a hug to Mrs. inToon.

Pete
(up late watching CNN).

PS - I am getting in line for new knee as well, so I’d be interested in hearing about her experiences.

Had my rt. knee done about a year and a half ago Fred. Make damn sure she takes her rehab seriously.... and right away!!! I can't stress that enough.... Wish her luck for me.

Yes hope Mrs. inToon does good with the surgery and like others have said I've been told the PT is the most important part.

A guy I worked with who was a couple years younger than me had one knee done and was looking forward to getting the second one done. His job was driving a Mack Superliner hauling heavy equipment and stone trailer so his knees did get a good work out.

Thanks for the good wishes guys,
Alva would thank you too if she ever checked out "your motorcycle bullshit"
She'd heard so many stories of knee operation survivors getting one knee done and chickening out on getting the
other one fixed that she decided to get both done at the same time so that the suffering only had to be survived once.
I do have expert family members on standby to help with the post-op rehab and PT.
"What's worse than living with a neat freak? Living with one that is directing you to clean & tidy to her standards."

Updates:-
Alva's dual knee-swap went well, she stayed in hospital 3 extra days because the initial recovery time for dual knee operations take longer.
Took her to her Doctor's office today to get the giant showerproof band-aids peeled off and a shitload of staples pulled out.
The discomfort level has been far less than the horror stories we've heard (warning! this may not be typical and your results may vary)
and Alva's walking frame lurch speed and range improve daily.
And our bungalow; we now reckon the home's several weirdnesses (pull-switches too high to reach without a step-stool,
small parts stored in screwtop jars with their lids fastened to the basement ceiling joists, security switches on garage door openers etc. etc.)
were not there because the PO was paranoid but because he routinely babysat his grandchildren.

Fred: Glad to here Alva is doing well! How long before she can out run you? Give your bride a hug from all us here!

Fred, I’m happy to hear your wife is recovering well from her knee replacements. I knew a woman that did the same thing, both at once. She went from being hardly able to walk, to practically skipping after completing her therapy.

Updates,
Alva has graduated from lurching behind a walking frame to walking with a stick. Slowly, carefully and just a few steps at a time but it's progress.
While I'm sure it'll take to the end of July before she's mobile enough to return to work and a fair while longer before full recovery I'm confident
that she'll get there.
Meanwhile our newly purchased bungalow continues to surprise us.
The rear garage door quit, push the button and nothin'. Next day it'd fixed itself. Day after it'd quit again.
Gave up and called the garage door guy. He showed up and the effin' thing was OK again.
He supposed an intermittent fault in the 1983 Stanley door opener's circuit board and no you can't get spare ones.
The good news:- if he didn't fix it the warranty kicks in so if it quits again before 30 days the first call is counted against
the next call when he brings the new opener. Only took a day to quit this time.
The bad news:- the new guy swapped the fully functional front opener instead of the intermittently faulty rear one.
Remember the kid's cartoon character Foghorn Leghorn? "what we have here is a failure to communicate."
Lucky I came home before he'd finished. Ended up with the new opener left in front and the old front opener on
the rear door. Ah well.

Fred just be careful now that Alva is walking around with that stick. She might just hang on to it just in case you say something wrong!

Fred just be careful now that Alva is walking around with that stick. She might just hang on to it just in case you say something wrong!

Hi Ken,
the teenage drill-sargent handling Alva's rehab said to give up the stick on one side & husband's arm on t'other in favor
of a $500 4-wheel braked walker. We found one used for $150 so the stick is on standby.
Alva has progressed from whimpering to cussing during her twice daily exercises which I think is a sign that the program is working.
She's also walking a little better every day.

Back