In 30 million years...

xjwmx

XS650 Guru
Top Contributor
Reaction score
What will Earth be like in 30 million years? Still have humans? Something similar to humans? Humans evolved into machines? Machines evolved into humans? Dinosaurs all over again? A U.S.A.?

Blimey @xjwmx only 30 million?

When you look at the history of prediction its been difficult to predict even 100 years. I am gobsmacked at the changes that have taken place in my lifetime. Young people, I notice, don't seem to have much sense of change or history and think that the world sprang fully-formed a few days before they were born.

Here's some failed predictions

"There is no reason anyone would want a computer in their home." - Ken Olsen, founder of Digital Equipment Corporation, 1977

"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers” - Thomas Watson, president of IBM, 1943

“In 50 years, every street in London will be buried under nine feet of manure.” - The Times newspaper
https://www.historic-uk.com/HistoryUK/HistoryofBritain/Great-Horse-Manure-Crisis-of-1894/

The only things we can be certain of is Keith Richards will still be playing and I'll still be "getting my bike on the road".

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Blimey @xjwmx only 30 million?

The only things we can be certain of is Keith Richards will still be playing and I'll still be "getting my bike on the road".

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

I once saw a motorcycle test that stated the following:

At the end of time, after the nuclear holocaust, only three things will survive:
  • Rolling Stone drummer Keith Richards;
  • cockroaches
  • the Yamaha XS650 twin.

What will Earth be like in 30 million years? Still have humans? Something similar to humans? Humans evolved into machines? Machines evolved into humans? Dinosaurs all over again? A U.S.A.?
I know what Don Drysdale, the great LA Dodgers pitcher would say: He was interviewed after throwing the winning strike to Willie Stargill in the World Series. The news caster said, "Don, what's it like to pitch to Willie Stargill in the final game of world series with bases loaded in the 9th and a full count?" Don Drysdale replied," I have to think of the 'Ice Ball Effect'. In two billion years, the sun will have depleted all it's energy and turn to a white dwarf. At that time the earth will turn to an iceball and no one will care what happened when I pitched to Willie Stargill with bases loaded in the ninth inning of the world series." He was a riot. He snuck into his manager, Tommy Lasorda's locker and took all his shirts and had them tailored, taking just a half inch out from the inseams!

My intriguing prediction for the next 200 years.

In his book Engines of Creation Eric Drexler outlines a technogy whereby microscopic machines would be able disaasemble and reassemble at the molecular or atomic level.

So, a tiny army of simple robots could lie in your carpet and progressively move dust toward the door and then leave it outside on the step. Or you could pour water and the right concentration of trash into a vessel and then pour in a starter. In the first phase the nanobots would simply reproduce themselves. In the second phase of the program they would start assembling .... a vaccuum cleaner. But this would be no ordinary vacuum cleaner. It would be an "organic" creation. There would be no limitations on the design; no screws, no access panels, no maintainabilty. If you need another just crush it and start the process again.

Waste could be infinitely recycleable just disasasemble into the needed elements. Pollution would be a thing of the past.

Drexler said the physics all stands up, "We just don't know how to do it yet,"

:)

My intriguing prediction for the next 200 years.

In his book Engines of Creation Eric Drexler outlines a technogy whereby microscopic machines would be able disaasemble and reassemble at the molecular or atomic level.

So, a tiny army of simple robots could lie in your carpet and progressively move dust toward the door and then leave it outside on the step. Or you could pour water and the right concentration of trash into a vessel and then pour in a starter. In the first phase the nanobots would simply reproduce themselves. In the second phase of the program they would start assembling .... a vaccuum cleaner. But this would be no ordinary vacuum cleaner. It would be an "organic" creation. There would be no limitations on the design; no screws, no access panels, no maintainabilty. If you need another just crush it and start the process again.

Waste could be infinitely recycleable just disasasemble into the needed elements. Pollution would be a thing of the past.

Drexler said the physics all stands up, "We just don't know how to do it yet,"

:)
Actually, I like what Roseann Barr said, "Yeah, I'll vacuum, as soon as someone makes a riding vacuum cleaner. :sneaky:

30 million years from now? I don't care. I'll be dead and anything I do now for the future won't matter because it won't last that long anyway. I recycle and compost my clippings. Will it make a difference 30 mil years down the road? I doubt it. I'm going to add to my carbon footprint now....later...

"We just don't know how to do it yet,"
And Evel Kneivel once said "...it's only impossible because nobody's ever done it before..."
As for where humans will be in 300 million years? Really? Consider how far the species has evolved in only 2 million years. I think we're very near an evolutionary cul-de-sac already. With cancers, and the rise of congenital disorders, it won't be long before humans will be unable to conceive a viable, error-free pregnancy (without science stepping in to "help"). That is, if we don't render ourselves extinct in the meantime... :shootme:

... if we don't render ourselves extinct in the meantime... :shootme:

I'm reminded of the fermentation process.

The yeast gobbles up the food, defecating alcohol, until the food's all gone, and the alcohol kills the yeast.

We're getting closer to the distillery stage, and will soon become something's swill...

I've been leaving hidden messages in my garbage, for the future archeologists. They've been invited to visit, if they ever develop time travel.

Nobody's shown up yet.

I think.... :er:
Yes, weve all been hiding messages in our garbage. I've recently read an article about it; In 50,000 years we won't be remembered for the Space Age, The Atomic Age, or the Computer Age. This time period will be deemed the "Slobbocene Era" for the stratified layer of plastic which will be evident across the globe.

I'm reminded of the fermentation process.

The yeast gobbles up the food, defecating alcohol, until the food's all gone, and the alcohol kills the yeast.

We're getting closer to the distillery stage, and will soon become something's swill...
Q.) What's the difference between soup and swill?
A.) About two days...

Back