In garage, help needed on coil install.

Rlauchard

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
FINALLY doing the pamco install. My previous coil had a ground wire on the mounting screw on the ass side of the bike. Do I still need that on the new coil? I don't see a call out for that to be grounded in the wiring diagrams.

Thanks for the fast help!

No, the dual output coil used with a Pamco does not need an electrical ground. Where the coil mounts should have a good clean metal to metal contact for heat dissipation.
Leo

Thanks sir...I'm hitting the screw holes with some gritty sandpaper and removing the ground wire....LOVE reducing wires in this thing...what a rat nest.

Your new coil should have two leads: 1 "hot" i.e. in the circuit from the battery/ switch (or capacitor/switch is you are PM w/o battery) and the other going to the Hall-effect unit (the PAMCO thingee on the end of the cam shaft).

The system grounds through the Hall effect unit and there is no other ground.

My previous coil had a ground wire on the mounting screw on the ass side of the bike. Do I still need that on the new coil?

Yep you need it. Sort of. It is a ground lug from the harness, which just uses the coil mounting screw as a convenient place to attach to the frame, although it doesn't have anything to do with the coil directly. Make sure it attaches to ground somewhere if you're keeping the same harness.

Sorry...I just want to make sure I'm doing right here. I have a black and a blue wire coming from the head lamp side of the coil. Pamco instructions say to connect the red/white (switched battery) to either Terminal...I take that to mean, you pick, blue or black.?..I pick blue.

So, this means that black goes to green on the hall-effect, and Red from the hall effect ALSO Ties into the blue.

Then I can tie the hall-effect black ground in where the frame ground for the engine is in my top left mounting brackets.

Yes?

Yes, that should work fine. Just be sure your grounds are clean metal to metal connections. A bit of grease to keep down corrosion won't hurt.
Leo

Yep you need it. Sort of. It is a ground lug from the harness, which just uses the coil mounting screw as a convenient place to attach to the frame, although it doesn't have anything to do with the coil directly. Make sure it attaches to ground somewhere if you're keeping the same harness.

Uh oh...you might be saying what the previous two posts were saying, however....now Im not sure what you mean. :confused:

Uh oh...you might be saying what the previous two posts were saying, however....now Im not sure what you mean. :confused:

I believe XJ is telling you that the wire that was secured by the coil mount bolt is not a coil wire but is a ground wire from the stock loom and that it needs to be grounded for reasons that have nothing to do with the coil.

Thanks burns...that is correct indeed, looked at it after reading your post and it's the ground for the signals and tail lights and such. I won't be keeping the harness, but that was helpful...cheers to you and xj!

Thanks burns...that is correct indeed, looked at it after reading your post and it's the ground for the signals and tail lights and such. I won't be keeping the harness, but that was helpful...cheers to you and xj!

xj gets the credit on this one, sometimes you just need to hear it said a little different.

Back