in line fuse types

emzdogz

Aunty Em
Reaction score
For the 20 amp fuse coming off my battery en route to key switch, I'm considering using the barrel type screw-together fuse holder with a 20 amp glass fuse in it, rather than the newer mini fuse holder. Reason is, for my application, the longer but slimmer glass fuse holder seems to fit much better. (it's tight in the elecs box!)

Anybody totally want to state that glass fuses are so inferior that I shouldn't even think of doing this?
thx!

I think so, you can try it and see how they hold up. If they tend to fail too much you can always change it.
Leo

For the 20 amp fuse coming off my battery en route to key switch, I'm considering using the barrel type screw-together fuse holder with a 20 amp glass fuse in it, rather than the newer mini fuse holder. Reason is, for my application, the longer but slimmer glass fuse holder seems to fit much better. (it's tight in the elecs box!)

Anybody totally want to state that glass fuses are so inferior that I shouldn't even think of doing this?
thx!

It was old age that killed the stock fuse panel. If you use a new fuse holder with a glass fuse, it should work just fine.

On these bikes yes, the fuse holders got weak. Round glass fuses in general can go bad in ways that are hard to tell by looking. They often burn out down in the metal ends or just come unhooked from over heating.
I don't like them. But they might be ok in this application.
Leo

Why not get the inline regular fuse holder?

http://www.mcmaster.com/#inline-fuse-holders/=pxal95

well the one I want to possibly use is the 2nd type: "Inline Fuse Holders for Glass-Tube
and Ceramic-Tube Fuses".
I have several of the 3rd type hanging around I could use (mini or maxi) but those are bulkier for the tight area in my battery box.

Battery + terminal gets 3 things running to it and I want to avoid "bulk".

Back