In search of the end of the road...Mailman lost in the desert

Mailman

Hardly a Guru
Top Contributor
Reaction score
After the wettest, coldest winter in many moons, the Arizona sun found its footing and is back with a vengeance. I have been single minded in efforts to get my XS2 up and running, but I have had spring fever and you know what they say, All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.
DD949C31-C742-4926-BD39-F82F5D535151.jpeg
So I threw on my gear and prepared to go, where? Who cares, just follow my nose. The sun is out, it’s 56 degrees on its way to 77 today. I fired up the old girl and let it sit, happily chuffing away while I put my gloves on.
08576BEA-AC78-4C41-9A95-6D9094C813D0.jpeg

A couple of photo ops on the way out of the neighborhood.
0B6A3257-440E-4051-95E0-EA90FF7625AF.jpeg
AB8C39E6-157D-4FCB-8329-DE949F22E406.jpeg

I turned and headed Northeast from my house towards my favorite stomping grounds, open desert and mountain foothills. I don’t know if any of you ever do this, but I just love exploring roads I’ve never been on.
I rode to the town of Wittman Az in search of old buildings or gas stations or anything interesting, but all I found there was a post office and people that move out there to be left alone.

So I turned North, straight towards the mountains and told myself I would folllow this road until it ended. I rode through a bunch of washes that had sand and dirt in the bottom, leftovers of our winter rains. The desert was exceptionally green.
CB0DE25B-00BA-44AF-B060-A5F7C152050C.jpeg
4914E61E-4BA6-46E5-82C2-5443D2E0F83F.jpeg

CB8A2BBF-1395-4AD5-8CFA-C860308A48DE.jpeg
BF4E0D95-62B6-40A7-A09D-0718847E7CC3.jpeg

This has to be the biggest saguaro I’ve ever seen in my life, and that’s saying something , because I’ve seen them my whole life. This monster must be forty feet tall and probably weighs more than a city bus.
Which photo do you like better? Color or black and white?
F1284990-6872-422A-9455-9BB038139ECF.jpeg
CA177D9C-9766-4A7A-BF5A-73A071753EBF.jpeg

I finally found the end of the road. I’ve ran out of pavement and the road is washed out further down.
4BBA4CB2-F169-4569-B0DB-8EE0C843DCA5.jpeg

So I head back and after a few miles, turned down another road. I was surprised that out in the middle of nowhere, I ran into a huge, very secure compound. What looked to be miles of fencing and a secured entrance, with no trespassing signs hanging every fifty feet on the fence. I honestly thought it was connected to the Air Force, since I knew there was an auxiliary airfield for Like Air Base somewhere out here.
It just so happened that on the road that ran along this facility, I ran into an explosion of wildflowers.
Lupine, daisys, desert marigolds, globe mallow, poppy’s, you name it! You can see the fence around th compound across the road.
7AF5143D-4B72-410D-B2AA-0FFC750350C8.jpeg
9DC03A01-7708-46CD-8B8C-16130491E811.jpeg
6EB2FC4E-4617-4ED4-BE9A-B674C331E464.jpeg
72927362-B31E-4DA4-A3DF-80EBCCC22E31.jpeg
A3ECD7F3-9DDF-4402-BEB4-59CE14B50AF8.jpeg
B0CF9A69-134C-42A2-AB6E-3C9039E878B7.jpeg
BEC91F3F-D0B8-4E53-8010-7A285808DDA9.jpeg

So then I headed for lunch and went to Dickies BBQ, ( the subject of another thread)
When I got home, I looked up on a map, to see if I was near a military facility and it turned out I ran into a very secure auto proving grounds. The Chrysler proving grounds in Wittman Az to be precise!
Here is an aerial map of the 5,500 acre facility, the arrow shows where I was photographing flowers and th circle shows the secure entrance.
B3FA9464-576D-4AD2-9E78-BC5C03E81703.jpeg

I rode 85 miles today just meandering. I hope to soon see you guys shaking off this blasted winter and getting in some rides yourself.
Maybe I’ll see you on the road!
Later, Bob

When I got home, I looked up on a map, to see if I was near a military facility and it turned out I ran into a very secure auto proving grounds. The Chrysler proving grounds in Wittman Az to be precise!
Be kinda fun to find a hole in the fence a make a lap or 2 around the big track.

Awesome desert floral pics too !

Thanks! I had to really look for those. The rains have brought heavy weed growth and the county has been aggressively mowing and spraying the weeds and killing the Wildflowers along with them.

Yup - Chrysler’s APG. Quite the place indeed. I once had a few laps in a Viper at 300 km/hr - blasting along while we did a series of tests on the windshield wipers and washers (really). Lots of fun despite the fact that I wasn’t driving!

Legend has it that way back in the DaimlerChrysler years, during the early testing of the 300C, there was an M-B E-classe on the track as well.

Now, the 300 is built in Brampton, ON and tthe Merc...isn’t. The key thing is that the running gear is essentially the same on each car. The major difference - aside from the obvious body sheet metal, is the engine itself. The 300 has a big North American V8 while the E-classe had a German-designed and built 5.0 litre V8. At one point, the two cars were on the big track together with their respective test teams watching....soooo, needless to say, a few US and Canadian dollars and some euros were flashed and the race was on. Apparently, the 300 would pull away from the E-classe, not by much, but it was consistently, noticeably faster.

Anyhow, tears of joy were shed in Auburn Hills MI and some sturm und drang occurred in Stuttgart, and consequently, at some point before the cars were released for sale, the 300C had its chip programmed to cut the fuel off at a speed that was 3-6 km slower than the E-classe could reliably achieve.

We can’t have an American designed / Canadian built $30,000 sedan blowing the doors off a $100,000+ product of the parent company now...can we?

PS - that is another beautifully photographed travelogue by Mailman. I love those pretty purple snapdragons!

Last edited:
I turned and headed Northeast from my house towards my favorite stomping grounds, open desert and mountain foothills. I don’t know if any of you ever do this, but I just love exploring roads I’ve never been on.

Only about 99% of my riding...:bike:

Problem is, I've pretty much exhausted every paved road within a 50 mile radius. It's getting to the point that I have to ride an hour or more just to get to anything I haven't ridden dozens of times.

Good news is, my Grandson is moving back to Maine from NC and has bought a house about 100 miles from here, so cross-country trips to get there and riding in that area will open new vistas for me.

Thanks! I had to really look for those. The rains have brought heavy weed growth and the county has been aggressively mowing and spraying the weeds and killing the Wildflowers along with them.[/Q

G'day B-O-B,

Kick those county vandals in the arse, those wildflowers were wonderful and need to be left alone.

GeeDub

Aside from the cactus from space, it looks remarkably like around Austin. Aren't those blue flowers what you call bluebonnets down there?

Dear Oh Dear Dougie,

You need to chill and not go into the Tully valley, lol.

GeeDub

mmmmm you seem to know all about where to go.........

Haven't head of or seen lupine flowers for years, they used to grow on the family farm and we were always catching people looking for mushrooms..........Thing is the blue meanies, (the good ones), wern't the only ones that used to grow around the bushes and the others weren't so good...........Never got into them myself.

great ride and great shots thanks for posting . Here in the UK we have storm winds and heavy rain and riding seems a long way off at the moment.
really like the colour and detail of your paintwork.

Incidentally how exactly do you get your leg over ;):laugh2:

seriously though. .:D I have a rear sissy bar /backrest and a seat bag and I do struggle to get on and off sometimes and I'm 5'11" maybe I need to do some Yoga :)

After the wettest, coldest winter in many moons, the Arizona sun found its footing and is back with a vengeance. I have been single minded in efforts to get my XS2 up and running, but I have had spring fever and you know what they say, All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.
View attachment 136204
So I threw on my gear and prepared to go, where? Who cares, just follow my nose. The sun is out, it’s 56 degrees on its way to 77 today. I fired up the old girl and let it sit, happily chuffing away while I put my gloves on.
View attachment 136205

A couple of photo ops on the way out of the neighborhood.
View attachment 136206 View attachment 136207

I rode to the town of Wittman Az in search of old buildings or gas stations or anything interesting, but all I found there was a post office and people that move out there to be left alone.

So I turned North, straight towards the mountains and told myself I would folllow this road until it ended. I rode through a bunch of washes that had sand and dirt in the bottom, leftovers of our winter rains. The desert was exceptionally green.
View attachment 136210 View attachment 136211
View attachment 136214 View attachment 136215

This has to be the biggest saguaro I’ve ever seen in my life, and that’s saying something , because I’ve seen them my whole life. This monster must be forty feet tall and probably weighs more than a city bus.
Which photo do you like better? Color or black and white?
View attachment 136212 View attachment 136213

I finally found the end of the road. I’ve ran out of pavement and the road is washed out further down.
View attachment 136229

So I head back and after a few miles, turned down another road. I was surprised that out in the middle of nowhere, I ran into a huge, very secure compound. What looked to be miles of fencing and a secured entrance, with no trespassing signs hanging every fifty feet on the fence. I honestly thought it was connected to the Air Force, since I knew there was an auxiliary airfield for Like Air Base somewhere out here.
It just so happened that on the road that ran along this facility, I ran into an explosion of wildflowers.
Lupine, daisys, desert marigolds, globe mallow, poppy’s, you name it! You can see the fence around th compound across the road.
View attachment 136216 View attachment 136217 View attachment 136218 View attachment 136221 View attachment 136223 View attachment 136224 View attachment 136227

So then I headed for lunch and went to Dickies BBQ, ( the subject of another thread)
Here is an aerial map of the 5,500 acre facility, the arrow shows where I was photographing flowers and th circle shows the secure entrance.
View attachment 136228

I rode 85 miles today just meandering. I hope to soon see you guys shaking off this blasted winter and getting in some rides yourself.
Maybe I’ll see you on the road!
Later, Bob
When I lived in Mohave Valley,back in the late 70’s, I did a roofing job in Wittman, middle of nowhere and hot started at dawn and was done by noon! If you get a chance and haven’t been yet ,take a ride out to Oatman, it’s an old ghost gold mineing town! They also hold bike events!

Back