In search of the end of the road...Mailman lost in the desert

4-5 yrs ago Wife, child and I drove through Oatman. Narrow, windy and crumbing road with drop off on both sides. Wild donkeys wander the town. Plenty of places sell feed to tourists so they can hand feed the mules. It's a neat experience.

When I lived in Mohave Valley,back in the late 70’s, I did a roofing job in Wittman, middle of nowhere and hot started at dawn and was done by noon! If you get a chance and haven’t been yet ,take a ride out to Oatman, it’s an old ghost gold mineing town! They also hold bike events!

Yeah Oatman is a cool little town. About 10 years ago my wife and I drove the old historic Rte. 66 , all of it that passed through Arizona.
Oatman was the end of the trip! Great fun!

great ride and great shots thanks for posting . Here in the UK we have storm winds and heavy rain and riding seems a long way off at the moment.
really like the colour and detail of your paintwork.
Incidentally how exactly do you get your leg over ;):laugh2:
seriously though. .:D I have a rear sissy bar /backrest and a seat bag and I do struggle to get on and off sometimes and I'm 5'11" maybe I need to do some Yoga :)

Hi peanut,
yeah, great scenery & nice paint. Saskatchewan's scenery is white on white right now and my Heritage Special is still wearing it's factory paint job.
And it's hard to remember how exactly because leg overs are quite rare when one is my age.
Seriously, remember the scene in Lawrence Olivier's Henry V movie showing the French heavy armour getting dropped onto their horses with a crane and how their cavalry charge was stopped dead by the English archers' arrow hail?
(didja know that the missile density of the Agincourt arrow-hail was not exceeded until the use of breech-loading rifles in the US Civil war?)
Well, a crane is how I'd have to be loaded onto a bike that had a sissy bar/backrest.

It is rumored that they are testing autonomous cars at the facility now. Maybe even by Apple.
STUPIDEST. IDEA. EVER.
My girlfriend calls me a grumpy old man all the time. I can’t stand all this technology BS when it comes to vehicles. Autonomous cars has got to be one of the stupidest effing ideas ever. I seriously can not fathom why anyone would think this would work. Simply put, if people driving cars is the problem, then transition to mass public transit. Problem solved. Trains, buses, etc. You don’t try to solve this problem by adding a bunch of sensors to a machine that was designed to have a human driver and has evolved for decades from that design. There are so many situations that sensors can just never be built to comprehend. Here’s something else to think about- what do you think is going to happen with all these new cars when they’re used cars in 20 years? They’re all super tech oriented and computer controlled. My girlfriends 2014 ford that she finally got rid of was in the shop 6 times in 8 months. The transmission was all effed up. They REPROGRAMMED the transmission. Plugged it in and updated the software. Her brand new honda has a touchscreen interface to control the climate and all media, including volume. All these technology laden cars are going to be obsolete and useless once their operating systems become obsolete. How long did your last cell phone last? How long did your last laptop last? How long are these cars’ computors going to last? People are amazingly short sighted.

Last edited:
STUPIDEST. IDEA. EVER.
My girlfriend calls me a grumpy old man all the time. I can’t stand all this technology BS when it comes to vehicles. Autonomous cars has got to be one of the stupidest effing ideas ever. I seriously can not fathom why anyone would think this would work. Simply put, if people driving cars is the problem, then transition to mass public transit. Problem solved. Trains, buses, etc. You don’t try to solve this problem by adding a bunch of sensors to a machine that was designed to have a human driver and has evolved for decades from that design. There are so many situations that sensors can just never be built to comprehend. Here’s something else to think about- what do you think is going to happen with all these new cars when they’re used cars in 20 years? They’re all super tech oriented and computer controlled. My girlfriends 2014 ford that she finally got rid of was in the shop 6 times in 8 months. The transmission was all effed up. They REPROGRAMMED the transmission. Plugged it in and updated the software. Her brand new honda has a touchscreen interface to control the climate and all media, including volume. All these technology laden cars are going to be obsolete and useless once their operating systems become obsolete. How long did your last cell phone last? How long did your last laptop last? How long are these cars’ computors going to last? People are amazingly short sighted.

Now I got something to think about all day.

Azman , I did some riding in the US in 2012 and found Arizona one of the most interesting parts of the trip. So different from NZ. Here is a photo of a couple of Donkeys checking out the meals on wheels.
Oatman compressed.jpg

Back