1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey Facebook people... We've created a group for XS650.com members to connect. Check it out!
    Dismiss Notice

Wanted - In UK - alternator cover

Discussion in 'Classifieds' started by Zedhead, Mar 5, 2018.

1. Zedhead

Zedhead XS650 Enthusiast

Hi all,
    I need an alternator cover for my 1979 Special (I think) engine, if anyone knows of one for a reasonable price? There will probably be other bits I need too, just not had time to go over the project with a fine tooth comb to work out what I'll be needing just yet...
  2. there was a very tasty highly polished cover on ebay last week for around £60 if I recall. Might be worth a look
    Zedhead likes this.
  3. Zedhead

Zedhead XS650 Enthusiast

Ooh, was there?
    I've been keeping an eye on ebay, hoping that I could see one for less than the 90-100 quid that they seem to be on sale for (and I refuse to buy anything from DK in Stoke as I've been bitten by their 'high quality' parts before...) but I could stretch to sixty! ;-)
  4. Zedhead

Zedhead XS650 Enthusiast

Oh, and it's the full cover I need, not just the round cap ;-)
  5. looks like its gone I'm afraid.
    Crikey there are over 40 covers on the US site all around £25-£35 its the shipping costs thats the killer.
  6. Zedhead

Zedhead XS650 Enthusiast

Yeah, I was wondering whether it'd be worth my while just waiting until one comes up at a decent price on UK ebay, or just hope to stumble across one at an autojumble, neither of which seemed particularly hopeful which is why I asked on here!
    The irony is that there will probably be some other stuff I need to buy from the US (ignition and PMA probably), so maybe I should just get it shipped to a relative in Florida and ask them to send it all in one hit?...
  7. if you are thinking of buying a electronic ignition and advance system then you really cannot beat the British made Boyer Bransden.
    I have had one fitted to my 79 special for 4x years and it is faultless.
    I've never read of any user having a problem with the Boyer system but to be fair do a Google search on the ignition system you are thinking of and type in (name of ignition system ) problem.
    if you get a problem with a Boyer system they are a UK based company with excellent customer service
    Heres a installation vid I did
    Zedhead likes this.
  8. Cribby

Cribby XS650 Member

Maybe some kind person out there in XS650 USA land will allow us to ship parts to them and they ship to us, marking the package as a gift, at our cost of course???

Zedhead likes this.
  9. Zedhead

Zedhead XS650 Enthusiast

That could be a possibility Cribby, and my wife has relations in Florida so maybe I could persuade them? I've also got a mate who has an apartment near Orlando, and he heads over a couple of times a year but, as he has been heavily involved in drag racing his suitcases are always full of drag parts when he heads home!
  10. XS1961

XS1961 XS addict!

I might have a couple laying about. Im in the UK .
    peanut and Zedhead like this.
  11. Zedhead

Zedhead XS650 Enthusiast