info on front dirtbike wheel on xs650

xs65071

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I know there's alot of threads for a 21" wheel swap. I just have a question on the axle. I've read that the rm250 front 21" dirtbike wheel is the easiest swap. Now would I be using the stock xs axle or the RM axle. Because I notice the older RM axle is all one size unlike the xs axle at the end is bigger to fit into the forks. I will be buying a 78 RM wheel with the drum. Also was wondering how you would keep the drum in place. Any info would be great before I order it and cannot use it thanks.

Not sure on the axle...but You'll need to come up with a stay for the drum so it doesn't rotate when you apply the brake... you may be able to use the extra caliper mounts on the opposite fork.

Anyone have info on the axle? I'm guessing I would have to use the xs axle so it fits in the fork were its bigger at the end. Both axles are 17mm I'm pretty sure. I will just have to make spacers.

I was hoping to get info but looks like I'm ordering the wheel I read that the rm250 wheel is the easiest I hope so and I dont waste my money lol.

I would def look into the axle size on the RM250 hub. I was recently looking into the same swap and if I recall correctly the axle was a dinky 12mm. I could be wrong but just wanted to throw that out there.

According to this post below, the only years in which the RM250 used a 17mm axle are 87-95. So unless you're looking to swap for a disc wheel, the one you're looking at is more likely 12mm and not the best option for a swap.

http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=20952.0

After doing some personal research on this topic myself, I'd recommend looking to the XT500 drum front wheel which is a 15mm unit. You can have a machinist take your XS650 axle down to 15mm from 17mm, and use some sleeves for the fork tubes.

This isn't something any old shop could do though, or at least MY local shop couldn't.

Your mileage may vary, but I'm going to be doing this , and I can always let you know how it turns out.

Back