info on good starting point on jetting

jaredssc17

XS650 Member
Reaction score
i just bought a 82 650xs the air box is gone and has the cheap uni foam filters on it that im changing to k and n style pods. altho the mufflers are gone and its just the head pipes the bike was not ran with just head pipes, it came with mikes xs britt mufflers. i plan on just making step up pipes with no mufflers stepping up to 2 inch tail pipes. i know i have the less pop. carbs to use. i live in north eastern ohio. elavation is about 1100 to 1300 feet. i have not pulled the carbs off yet. it did come with a bag full of jets. i did see a main in there of 142.5. i was going to maybe use that as a good starting point for a main. i havent looked for the others yet.

well good news my carbs are fully rebuilt. looks like everything but the butterflys have been changed. i found in one of the boxs a crap load of new jets and other new carb parts. the main is a 137.5. the pilots i couldnt read. it looks to be 45.5 or 47.5's the needle has numbers and letters of 5Ix11 on them. they have 5 clip slots so i would say the 5I is five slots and a tapper of 11? they do look likea diff. tapper then stock to me.

i didnt get all in on the carbs i just toke them off and looked over them. i hope to get them all apart friday after work.

i know a thing or two about jetting. im going to far from stock with the jetting. stock isnt going to help at all for me.

Quite often, even with the K&N filters and open pipes stock is a good place to start.
You may get those 147's to run, the 137.5 or 140 will be much better.
I have pretty much what you will have and run a 130 main and a 45 pilot with the BS38's off a 76.
I have some BS34's from an 82 I wil soon try. I will start with the stock jets and work from there.

Back