Info on the clutch viewing port case mod?

xander18

Hotrod Hobo
Reaction score
I've seen a couple of Yamahas that have modified side cases with a hole and glass/plexiglass over the clutch. Is there a how to somewhere around here? Are people selling them? My search fu failed me and I think it would be a sick thing to do.

I believe that is a factory oil level sight glass you are referring to. I think those were on '81 model bikes. I think I have one of those side covers laying around somewhere......

Can't see the clutch through it though. Can't see nothin much through it except some random oil level. But if you never see oil through it, it's probably low.

No, no ....I know what he means and it's a mod were the person (I believe) cuts the side cover and puts in a circular piece of what looks like plexyglass. It's a mod that show the clutch and the inside of the right side cover.

Xan's wondering if there's a write up on one, or the process for fabing one up. Or if people are buying them.

Like the one on Hans.

Attachments

• HansHolland03.jpg
    HansHolland03.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 195
That's it Ace, thanks for the clarification. I'm pretty sure I could just put it in my mill and go to town but it's always nice to talk to someone who's done it before.

No, no ....I know what he means and it's a mod were the person (I believe) cuts the side cover and puts in a circular piece of what looks like plexyglass. It's a mod that show the clutch and the inside of the right side cover.

Xan's wondering if there's a write up on one, or the process for fabing one up. Or if people are buying them.

Like the one on Hans.

Oh man, I was way off :doh:

xander, you may want to search the tl1000 forums (when I used to have one). I remember seeing someone selling those there previously. I don't know if he made them himself or if they were doing a group buy from somewhere but you may be able to get more info on what they used there.

This was awhile ago though. Or, see if the guy that posted the bike up on xs650choppers.com posted info on it.

Loads of stuff on them on the TL forums, here are a couple (one and two).

The RZ350 one.

Looks like not a whole lot of love for the XS650 on this mod though, so I will definitely be putting one of my spare covers to the mill and seeing what I can come up with.

Justin did one for his bike. He didn't do a how-to but can infer what he needed to do.

http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4792&page=4

Haha ya beat me to it. I was gonna link Justin's build also. That thing is so cool and being used to Duc's I love seeing the clutch. I definitely think that if you go w/ the open clutch cover (clear I should say), you have to do the reactive dye and LED to make it flow/look good.

Yeah i built the one above, im building 5 more right now for others. Not really to hard if you have a mill, hardest part is making sure it all seals up good. Let me know if you have any questions glad to help.

Hey Justin, thanks a ton. I'll let you know if I have any questions about it. Did you engrave in your stock oil filter cover? Your engraving looks pretty deep and I think that cover is pretty thin.

Back