Initial Adjustment Help, Cam Chain, Valves, etc

Rlauchard

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm starting a new thread as I go through my adjustments rather than continuing to update my intro page.

So, the first recommended steps were to do in order, the cam chain adjustment, valve adjustment, timing, then carbs. I'm on step 1. If you didn't catch my intro...I literally am learning on the fly...never had a bike, don't work on cars, etc. OK..now on to the help question.

I viewed the cam chain tensioner video from The650twin in which he stated that the pin should come out either even with the shoulder of the nut, or a bit further (1mm). I'm looking at my pin and in my humble opinion, it doesn't need adjusting. If it does, I would say it is coming out just a hair too much. Here is a video...I know some of this is personal preference, but can I get a second opinion as to the adjustment before moving on to the valves? (I had a couple of video helpers on this, 3 yr old son and my wife :))

NOTICE: The camera is at a slight angle so that I could get the dang thing to focus.

You want it to go in or out about 1 mm. It looks a little too far in too me. The manual tells you to have it flush with the shoulder, when stationary, which is where I start. Then I rotate the engine to see it's inward/outward motion and make a final adjustment. Some check it with the engine running also. It should be done with a warm engine though.
I made the video by the way.

Last edited:
Thanks bill...great video...I'm just always going to question myself until I get familiar (I think that is a good policy always).

I'm waiting on my sump filter (coming today) and I got a new oil filter locally, so I'll put it back together to get the engine warm.

Once warm, I'll adjust the pin so that it's flush with the shoulder before turning the engine. This is done by loosening the locknut, then tightening the 10mm nut IN which will pull the pin out. Then check to make sure it's coming out and in ~1mm (if not, tighten or loosen slightly to attain that).

I *think* I get it...sound right?

That is correct. Just make sure you rotate the engine a couple times while doing it to double check it's location. There are many opinions on how this is done, running or not and why the owner does it that way. The manual says flush with the shoulder, but I like a little movement. You mainly don't want it over tight or too loose.

Just make sure you have some in-out movement, maybe 1-2mm. No movement means you've adjusted it too tight. I agree with Bill, looks a bit loose in the vid. Another benefit of checking/adjusting while idling is that you can actually hear a chain that's too loose - the top end will rattle like the valves are loose. Tighten the adjuster up and that noise will magically disappear.

OK....cam chain tensioner adjustment was successful. I have to say, the difference in sound seems noticeable to me. Sounds like there is a bit of a rattle gone.

Before:

After:

Next up....valve adjustment...little nervous, but digging in anyway.

Back