Inner Tube Sticking in Lower Fork Leg

geedubya

geedubya
Top Contributor
Reaction score
G'day All,:banghead:
I have a problem with 34mm forks. The inner is sticking in the lower outer tube. I i have had both inners checked for bends on a surface plate and they came up OK.

Attached are two photos (of dubious quality), showing the good lower leg which bottoms out. The other picture is of the sticking lower leg which sticks with about 2" left to go to bottom out.

Anybody had this problem before??
There appears to be no dents obvious.

geedubya:bike::bike:

Attachments

• SDC12463.jpg
    SDC12463.jpg
    146.1 KB · Views: 275
  • SDC12462.jpg
    SDC12462.jpg
    156 KB · Views: 260
well you photography sucks lol:D

i know its going to sound like an obvious question but were the inners fitted and working in the outer previously or is it a bitsa ..bitsa this and bitsa ....

If they were binding previously you might not have noticed as the downforce of the weight of bike and rider would have overcome the binding .

have you measured the diameter of the bottoms of the inner legs with a vernier guage and checked for true uniform roundness ?
if you smear some engineers blue on the inners you might see where they are binding in the housings

Should forks bottom out in normal operation anyway ?

G/Day Mate
Back in 1973 i had a car pull out in front of me on my XS2, typical "sorry mate i didn't see ya". It was a low speed impact but i bent the forks. Insurance claim back then as the bike was almost new. anyway when we got the new parts the one fork would not slide all the way and after a torid time we found a slight bend in the Aluminium slider. no marks nothing, but we had to replace it. it was very slight but it can happen.
Swap them over to see if you get the same result.

My first thought when reading the title of your post was that you had suffered a bad accident.

The response that the aluminium part could bend added to group knowledge, that's good.

G'day all,

As you can see the photos are not a "Kodak moment".

I have done all of the different measurements, etc. and forgot about the bearing blue Peanut so, will give it a go and report back later.

Should the inners bottom out???
One does however, the other bugger won't come to the party, YET!!!!:bike::bike::bike:

I was not asking you if they do bottom out I was asking everyone whether they actually need to or should do .:wink2:

You haven't answered my questions about the history of the parts so I cannot advise further I'm afraid:shrug:

Back