Install of MikesXS (17-6805) Replacement Coils

YL82

Perpetual Restorationist
Reaction score
Does it matter how my new pair of coils (for points ignition) are hooked up to the stock brown (female) and orange (male) wires?

The MikesXS coils have yellow (male terminal) and black (female terminal) wires.

From where the terminals come out of the new and stock coils, I will have to change the fittings to make them match up.

If I just hook up the M-F terminals from factory wiring to new coils, the black will be connected to the brown and the yellow to the orange.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    157.6 KB · Views: 309
Not really. If you look at where the wires hook to the coils, and we can assume the internal windings are wound the same, then power is going to flow through the coil with the same polarity.
There is a way to check polarity of the coil by using a lead pencil. Pull off a plug wire and hold the tip of the pencil between the wire and plug. You may have to remove the plug wire cap. The spark should jump from the wire to the pencil then to the plug. This is indicated by a shower of sparks from the pencil tip to the plug.
This way the spark jumps from the center electrode of the plug to the ground strap. If the pencil test shows the spark jumping opposite then swap the wires where the coil wires plug into the harness.
If I recall right it takes more spark voltage to jump a plug backwards. Just how much I don't recall for sure either.
I would just plug them together as they are and see how it runs. Do a search on the plug spark polarity test. I may have it backwards.
Leo

Back