1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey Facebook people... We've created a group for XS650.com members to connect. Check it out!
    Dismiss Notice

Installing a Vape all in one charging and ignition system.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by gggGary, Dec 19, 2019.

1. gggGary

gggGary Stop that! XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

Full disclosure; While talking to Gary Hoos about his cam guides I agreed to do an install of a Vape and a forum write up. Gary gave me a super deal on the set up in exchange for doing a "positive write up". Will attempt to do an impartial, install how to, and comments about how the install goes, and how it works.
    http://www.hoosracing.com/home.html
    the Vape is several items down in the new XS650/750 engine parts menu.
    Since Ywain is on the lift with no charging system at all it seemed like the perfect candidate. This thread will take a while, cuz the bike is far from road ready and it's mid winter in Wisconsin
    Package arrived two days from order. Gary is only a couple hundred miles from me.
    vape3.jpg
    Well packed
    vape2.jpg
    The contents
    vape1.jpg
    Includes an instruction booklet, in english except for the wiring diagram.
    vape5.jpg
    First up; lots of cleaning to do.
    vape4.jpg
    YWAIN had a "never wired up" pamco bolted on, that and the advance assembly are now removed.
    Stay tuned.
    Oh; feel free to comment, whatever, but I will edit this thread to keep the flow going, combine posts, remove off topic wanders etc.
    Got some cleaning done.
    vape6.jpg

2. hooser

hooser XS650 Addict

IOWA
    Hey there was no "quid pro quo" lol, Thanks for your help.

3. 59Tebo

59Tebo 59Tebo Top Contributor

Isn't this the same as the HHB system? Comparable price... :popcorn:

gggGary likes this.
  4. chewblanca

chewblanca Jack of Few Trades

I have the 277 Re-phased VAPE setup from Gary. Super nice kit. I accidentally put the rotor on in the wrong orientation the first time because I was excited. After I sorted that out it started first kick. The adjustable timetables are nice as is the rev limited. Starts super easy and a very smooth power band. Also the shell racing cam covers look very slick. After about 1000 miles on it no complaints here!

arcticXS, 59Tebo and gggGary like this.
  5. halfmile

halfmile XS Builder XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

kansas
    The price may be comparable, I haven`t checked lately but the Vape looks to be of a much higher quality.:thumbsup:

MaxPete, grizld1, wannabridin and 2 others like this.
  6. MaxPete

MaxPete Lucille, Betty & Demi - I suggest but THEY decide. XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

This one rates:
    :popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

Hey Gary - what ever happened to the Chinoise system you had several weeks/months ago?

Pete

arcticXS and gggGary like this.
  7. gggGary

gggGary Stop that! XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

That got demoted to a different project.
    mebbie this one.
    00l0l_bDPD0694VlX_1200x900.jpg

8. halfmile

kansas
    Demoted is a great descriptive term for electrical systems shuffled from one project to another. If I change my tracker over to a electric start I`ll "Demote" my Morris Mag and use the Vape System as I`ve never heard anything negative about it.:thumbsup:
    Gary, Please include compatible battery types and capacitors. Inquiring minds might want to know.:umm:

gggGary, MaxPete and 59Tebo like this.
  9. chewblanca

chewblanca Jack of Few Trades

I use a Shorai Lithium Battery with mine. No issues. Although I don't think VAPE recommends using a lithium. But the directions say you can run battery-less with a capacitor but it doesn't list specifics.

Paul Sutton, gggGary and MaxPete like this.
  10. 650trader

650trader XS650 Addict

Half mile - your thoughts on the morris mag ?
    I put one one an XR project i built back in the 80's - ran fab.
    How is it on a 650 ?

Paul Sutton, gggGary and MaxPete like this.
  11. wannabridin

wannabridin XS650 Guru

Very cool!! Planning on this system in my bobber someday to keep everything clean and simple!

59Tebo, gggGary and MaxPete like this.
  12. hooser

hooser XS650 Addict

IOWA
    if you go back to the Former Powerdynamo site which is still made available by Vape , the reason they don't recomend using a lithium battery is they never tried one. Also you can run without a cap even but you need to have a load on the regulator when you start the bike , like the lights. or the regulator will go high and blow the lights if you turn on after the bike starts. Here are some older links.
    http://www.powerdynamo.biz/eng/systems/7361/7361main.htm
    http://www.powerdynamo.biz/eng/kb/reg_output.htm
    http://www.powerdynamo.biz/eng/systems/7376/7376main.htm

59Tebo, gggGary and MaxPete like this.
  13. halfmile

kansas
    The Morris Mag fired right up and sounded good considering I never used a timing light and the motor was way over carbureted. I bought new smaller Mikuni`s but never installed them. That was 4 years ago and I haven`t touched it since.

grizld1 likes this.
  14. arcticXS

arcticXS XS650 Guru Top Contributor

I doubt that. VAPE is made in Europe, while I suspect that other setup to be manufactured a lot further east.......

grizld1, 59Tebo and gggGary like this.
  15. arcticXS

I have an RD350A, with a Powerdynamo/ VAPE PMA/CDI combo. Had it for at least 5 years, used a Super-B 2600 LiPoFe battery with no issues whatsoever, even when Powerdynamo/ VAPE stated not to do so (for fear of litigation, naturally)
    On a side note, some use a Zeeltronic programmable ignition controller with a PD/ VAPE on the RDs. That requires a different Reg/Rect due to some interference issue.

grizld1, timbeck and gggGary like this.
  16. halfmile

kansas
    Yeah. CZECH sounds a lot better than Chink.:unsure:

Paul Sutton, grizld1 and gggGary like this.
  17. Signal

Signal XS650 Junkie Top Contributor

I have installed a few different ignition systems on XS's. The Vape is top quality. The standard firing system is about as easy as it gets so far as installation goes . The 277 version is a bit more fiddly.
    I am sure you will be pleased with it Gary.

grizld1, Mailman, gggGary and 2 others like this.
  18. arcticXS

Not sure if you agree with me or not? Chechoslovakia/ Czech Republic has a good reputation for quality industrial products. My lathe is a TOZ. Czech. Two of my rifles are CZ and Brno. Czech. Jawa speedway bikes were/are top class. Czech. The VAG group manufactures Skoda cars in Czech.
    See what I did there? Czech/ check ;)

FB71, TwoManyXS1Bs, MaxPete and 4 others like this.
  19. MaxPete

MaxPete Lucille, Betty & Demi - I suggest but THEY decide. XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

Agreed - before WW2, Czechoslovakia was one of the most advanced democracies and industrial economies in Europe and certainly the leading manufacturing nation in the east.

I hope that system is as good as it appears. :popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

Pete

grizld1 and arcticXS like this.
  20. Paul Sutton

Paul Sutton Sprained Ankle Top Contributor

Interesting reading in those PowerDynamo references above regarding electrical problems. The following gives a reasonable explanation about running too high an electrical load:
    http://www.powerdynamo.biz/eng/kb/light_output.htm
    I struck this problem using 60/55W H4 bulbs on my XS a year or two ago so stepped down to 35W.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2019
    gggGary and Team Junk like this.